Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
curlygirl
curlygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Cybook Gen3 or Hanlin V3 for Fiction Lover

Hi, I would love to ask some opinion about choosing one between 2 ebook reader. I know it’s been asked a lot.
I’m a newbie in this thing. And I live in Asia by the way.
I'm gonna use the reader to read Fiction Books (Novels).
So the choice would be either Cybook Gen3 or Hanlin V3

1. The thing that I like about Cybook is the Dictionary Lookup feature.
Which makes me wonder is it gonna be provided in Hanlin soon? I mean, is “Dictionary Lookup” something that can be solved with just the firmware upgrade? Or is it from the hardware inside the ebook reader itself??

2. I own a Mac. Cybook Gen3 is fine with Mac I hear. What about Hanlin V3?? I can’t find the mac-compatible statement in the website. At least the USB must be ok to connected to Mac for charging the device. Anyone?

3. I hear that Cybook Gen3 using a Mobipocket format. Which means if I buy an ebook from any website it’ll be the mobipocket (PRC) one right? What about Hanlin V3?? Which format should I buy if I own Hanlin?? Hanlin’s not supporting mobipocket (PRC) right? But will it?

4. If I own either Cybook or Hanlin, can I buy an ebook from a website (preferably only using Mac, but if still can’t then okay I’ll use the windows) and I want that ebook I buy can be read either in my reader, or in computer, or in PDA. I don’t want an ebook which is only stuck in a reader. Can I do that ?? (I don’t know whether it means the DRM thing they talk about so much here, don’t really get it yet, sorry).
And is there any specific ebook store that is easiest for Mac User?

5. I will use the ebook reader to read and buy fiction books (novels). And right now I own Lit, Html, Txt, Rtf, and some Prc (Lit and Html the most). So, which one?

6. I’m so confused between this both. Cybook Gen3 is looking “more expensive” and better thing on the eye, and I love the Dictionary Lookup support.
But Hanlin I hear support more formats (is it true Hanlin will support Lit too?). So, please, help me…

Sorry for the too-many-questions
Thanks
curlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirl View Post
I will use the ebook reader to read and buy fiction books (novels). And right now I own Lit, Html, Txt, Rtf, and some Prc (Lit and Html the most). So, which one?
LIT is MS Reader and PRC is MOBI. If these are Secure MS Reader and Secure MobiPocket (i.e. if they have Digital Rights Management, DRM, encryption) then how do you read them now?

To read Secure LIT on an EInk device you will need to crack the DRM (via ConvertLIT). The Hanlin can read (DRM-free) LITs, but they are also very easy to format shift to MOBI for the Cybook. If you already buy LIT, then it may be easiest to continue to do so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
curlygirl
curlygirl began at the beginning.

Mostly I got that book from baen.com and yes it's free and legal.
But with the new device i'm planning to buy lots of novels. That's what i'm thinking about which format is the safest one, because of course I don't want to stuck with one reader only, i want to be able to move my book into my computer, pda, or say i'll buy another new ebook reader years ahead. You got what I mean right?

So are you suggesting LIT format to be bought? Is it the safest? And it works for both Hanlin or Cybook? You mean LIT can be convert to MOBI? What's the program?
And what's the program to convert LIT to any format Hanlin should handle?

And is there any specific website that selling ebook for Mac User? I hear there's a web which sell book with "only" activated microfost reader (is it free by the way?) and internet explorer (even firefox cannot?!).
What if I want to buy a book simply with Mac OS X?

Thanks
curlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirl View Post
What if I want to buy a book simply with Mac OS X?
You can not buy a LIT book unless you use Windows/IE combo. With a MAC you have to choose another format.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... unless you run Windows on your Mac using something like "Bootcamp", of course .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... unless you run Windows on your Mac using something like "Bootcamp", of course .
I knew someone was going to say this. But, that doesn't change the fact that you are using Windows/IE combo.

BOb
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass . Just pointing out that owning a (modern) Mac doesn't rule out being able to use LIT files.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass . Just pointing out that owning a (modern) Mac doesn't rule out being able to use LIT files.
True enough, if you want to spend a couple of hundred bucks for a Windows license.

BOb
Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The most popular "future proof" ebook strategy, which requires a Windows PC, is to buy LIT ebooks, break their DRM using ConvertLIT and then format shift to the DRM-free format of choice for the target device. In the case of the Cybook, this would be MOBI and on a Windows PC you can use MobiPocket Windows Reader/Creator to do the conversion. Or, on any PC, you can use the Perl script lit2mobi to do the conversion. The Hanlin can read DRM-free LIT directly.

If buying LIT ebooks on a Windows PC isn't an option, there are two good alternatives:

a) Buy Secure MOBI ebooks (lots of sites). Readable directly on the Cybook, may soon be readable directly on the Hanlin. Can be read today on the Hanlin if you use the Python script mobidedrm to break the DRM. Once it is DRM-free, MOBI is also readable on a Mac using Stanza.

b) Buy Secure eReader ebooks (directly from FictionWise, who now own eReader). Use eReader's reader software on the Mac. Break the DRM using the Python script ereader2html and read the resulting HTML on Cybook or Hanlin.

The 6" Astak Mentor has been delayed several times, but is now due in late September. It will be the first EInk device to support Secure eReader ebooks.

Given your desire for dictionary support, the Bookeen and Secure MOBI may be your best choice. You can buy MOBI ebooks from any web browser on any machine. MOBI is widely supported, but since mobidedrm can break their DRM your ebooks are safe even if MobiPocket isn't supported on your next device.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, I'd stay away from the Gen3 until the source of the reboots/lockups has been determined. Because if it is due to using an SD card, then getting a new Gen3 won't be an issue as it has plenty of internal memory. But if it's not, then you may have all kinds of aggravation.

When the V3 gets full Mobipocket support with DRM and dictionary, then go for a V3,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, I'd stay away from the Gen3 until the source of the reboots/lockups has been determined. Because if it is due to using an SD card, then getting a new Gen3 won't be an issue as it has plenty of internal memory. But if it's not, then you may have all kinds of aggravation.
Really, Jon, you do exaggerate problems, sometimes .

If you look at the Gen3 forum you'll see that one person (AFAIK - Geoff) - has has "lockups" while actually using the machine. A few others have had the occasional issue while booting. The overwhelming majority (myself included) appear to have no issues of that nature at all.

It's very easy to get the wrong idea of the scale of a problem by casually glancing at a forum - by their very nature, the majority of people with no problems don't write and tell people so.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 AM   #12
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Hanlin V3 is fit for your requirement, it has the best performance-price ratio. I also thought about this, and V3 is my final choice. I have got one, it works very well!
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i have a cybook gen 3 and it's never locked up or rebooted. also i love the mobipocket format because i can read it on my computer, pda, eee pc or my cybook. you can also very easily convert text files to work on the cybook, and a lot of older free books are offered in text, so that's very helpful.

learn more about the mobipocket reader here http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN
and i see that they do offer a version for mac.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
learn more about the mobipocket reader here http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN
and i see that they do offer a version for mac.
MobiPocket supports many devices, but there is no Mac version.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But you don't need a Mac version in order to be able to buy Mobi books using a Mac, of course. You can buy books for any device which supports the Mobi reader if you have a Mac.