Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
moon_cat
moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-700, NOOK 3G
Anyone know a workaround to authorizing a device

So here is the deal...

I am on a boat- I forgot to grab my reader before I left and won't be back for a long time (months). I went ahead and bought a PRS-300 since it is inexpensive. I brought my newest laptop (a mac book air that dual boots OSX and XP), so it didn't have the software on it, but I did have most of the books I had bought, which were BBeB protected format. I found out that I could not use the BBeB on the newest version of the library software, so I have updated some of my library (but not the whole thing) the last time I had internet available on my personal computer. I can't use my work computer, which has internet, to connect my reader to due to the fact that the page that needs to be accessed for my account is blocked through our comm guys, and I have already tried a work around to no avail since the problem lies higher than them.

I finally got my PRS-300, but I can't authorize it to my computer due to internet access (I have internet on my work computer, but not on my personal computer, and since I am stuck on a boat for a while, there isn't much I can do about it). Anybody know any workarounds for authorizing or loading DRMd content onto the reader? I have tried just copying the files directly to the device, which didn't work (both BBeB and EPUB). Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks!
moon_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
If you can download the appropriate scripts via your work computer, you could strip the DRM from the eBooks and then put them on the reader. No authorization required.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Another possibility would be to just get different books -- explore the public domain ebooks available, for instance -- to hold you until you get back to full resources. As long as any ebooks you buy are DRM-free, you can then load them back on your original device when you get back to it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote