Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
kiwik
Enthusiast
kiwik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One (ex Kindle, Sony 505)
Justified text in ePub?

I've been searching the forums and the web but I haven't got a definitive answer yet.

1) Can you have justified text in an ePub book?

2) If I buy a book in ePub format, will it have justified text?

3) Can Calibre create an ePub file with justified text? (I haven't managed to make it work yet)

4) If Calibre cannot create a justified ePub, what program(s) can I use?

Many thanks for any insights. Hopefully this thread will help some other people with the same questions.
kiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
First, do you mean "full justification"?

I'm pretty sure the justification depends on the viewer software and not the ebook file.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Cygfrydd
Jackass Crazyfish
Cygfrydd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
So far, it appears that the latest version (v1.7.1079 is what I have) of Adobe Digital Editions for desktops (PC/Mac) supports full-justification (text-align: justify); the version of ADE that runs on the Sony Reader PRS-505/700 does not, even though full-justification in BBeB files works just fine on the Sony. I keep hoping a firmware update is forthcoming to address this (even though it seems there are a lot of folks in the we-prefer-ragged-right-text camp).

— @yg

-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-
Cygfrydd Llewellyn | cygfrydd@gmail.com
-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-

I think I would like to go into modelling. Of course, I don’t know how to
do it, and wouldn’t be any good at it if I did, so I’m going to employ
someone to walk the catwalks on my behalf. It would still be *me*, of
course...
— Terry learns Naomi Campbell has written a book.
(Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
Cygfrydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
as the other replies have mentioned, justified text depends on the viewer at this point. the epub spec has added support which can be viewed in the latest version of Adobe's Digital Editions desktop viewer, so justified epubs are definitely possible. feedbooks already supports this option. so far it's not yet available on mobile devices but we can hope for a firmware update in the near future. ideally, of course, this will be a user-specified preference, as opinions do vary (as noted by Cygfrydd).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To clarify:

1. The book itself can specify whether it wants to be displayed using left or full justification.

2. The viewing application may or may not "honour" the justification option specified by the book. Currently, the desktop version of the ADE Reader will honour a request to display a book with full justification; the version that's in the Sony Reader will not do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
kiwik
Enthusiast
kiwik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One (ex Kindle, Sony 505)
Ah, now I understand!! So ePub can do it, but my Sony PRS-505 cannot. That is very annoying, I really hope they come out with a firmware upgrade. Thanks for the replies.
kiwik is offline   Reply With Quote