Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iRex Digital Reader: Going to receive a review unit - post your questions

In the coming days, iRex is going to send me a review unit. I plan on doing a full video review of all it's features, usability, format support, etc.

They also intend to release an SDK soon, so I'm going to see how difficult it will be to port apps as compared to the iLiad.

I also intend to do a full tech rundown on the device. How things have changed from the iLiad, scribble formats, manifests, etc. Basically everything the community will need to get started with development.

So my question: What do you guys want to see and know? If you have documents you'd like to see on the DR, post them (although, I may limit this if the list grows too much).

Is there anything you want to know that can be found out by using the device?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
So my question: What do you guys want to see and know? If you have documents you'd like to see on the DR, post them (although, I may limit this if the list grows too much).
Basically, I'd like to see any PDF that is formatted for an 8.5x11 page. Also, any PDF (ebook) that is formated for a standard tech book... what size is that... is that TPB? I am basically talking about a Wrox/O'Rielly/MS Press sized book.

Also, any searching within book and library. The library navigation with folders etc. Dictionary support. Document switching. Annotation markup support (espesially for Office documents if supported) and how to bring this to a PC and what can be done with it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Good to hear that Adam!
I'd like to see the comparison b/w iLiad and 1000 for letter size document.
Previously on my iLiad, I had to read technical papers in landscape mode. So please post two pictures one of which is the Iliad in landscape and another is 1000 in normal mode(or additionally without margin), for the same technical papers. I guess any letter sized paper would be fine. I really look forward your review!
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I second Bob's request. How well does the DR perform with standard-sized PDF documents? Is 10" enough to make a full A4 PDF page truly legible?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'd like to know how you get them to respond to your emails. They've ignored all the emails I've sent.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
eReaderOutfitter
eReaderOutfitter began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Thumbs up Redability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I second Bob's request. How well does the DR perform with standard-sized PDF documents? Is 10" enough to make a full A4 PDF page truly legible?
I got my new DR1000S reader this weekend the readability of A4 pdf images is second to none comparing past and present ereaders. I printed a pdf image of a google map this weekend. I used the print function on google maps for A4 optimized printing. It was awesome I had the margins cropped out to make it even larger, this can be disabled in settings it will look just fine with them too.

Found some bugs with the color converter, didn't like oragne it was displayed in a very faint gray. But for a beta unit I was very impressed with the overall quality it produced!

The display is so clear and clean! No more ghosting of the last pages text way to go iRex!

Last edited by eReaderOutfitter; 09-29-2008 at 01:17 PM.
eReaderOutfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
What I'll like to know is how easy is it to get stuff on and off the device.

i.e. get Documents on, mark them up and get them back up on the computer in a usable format such as PDF, Word, Onenote, etc.

I'll also like to ask how the mark up / writing on it is in comparison to Paper / Illiad / Tablet PC. And how is the delay compared to the illiad.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
One more vote for PDF.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
What I'll like to know is how easy is it to get stuff on and off the device.

i.e. get Documents on, mark them up and get them back up on the computer in a usable format such as PDF, Word, Onenote, etc.
I'll second that one, and how!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'd like to know how you get them to respond to your emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eReaderOutfitter View Post
I got my new DR1000S reader this weekend the readability of A4 pdf images is second to none comarping past and present ereaders.
You'd find a lot of new friends here very quickly if you share some hi-res hands-on photos with us (i.e. attach them to a new thread).
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
Tomek
Enthusiast
Tomek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I'd love to see all Mobipocket features: dictionary lookup, annotation, bookmarks, table of bookmarks, font type and size changes, two pages at once in horizontal position?
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Adam, not sure how much you're willing to go in-depth, but some specifics regarding the underlying Linux OS, installed applications, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Adam, not sure how much you're willing to go in-depth, but some specifics regarding the underlying Linux OS, installed applications, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
If I can easily get that info, I will.

The problem is getting access to the internal file system. I'm not sure if a development package will be required, and without networking, ssh is out.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
harald
harald began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
annotations database

Great! I would be interested how the 'database' for the annotations works. I have a workflow now to store all my annotations on my Mac (and merge them), using the Irex Iliad, and I would particularly like to know how the annotations are stored in the new reader.

Also, are pdfs with annotations associated with them annotated on the Iliad transferable to the new reader?

thanks Harald
harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Id like to see switching between documents. What if two of the pdfs are 20MB big? Will it still be usable? Can you scribble, switch to documents and come back to scribbling?

Does it remember zoom position?

How are the scribbles stored? Will I loose all my scribbles from iLiad (I dont want to merge, just to keep them, iRex should provide a transfer method if database structure is different).

How many items in contentlister?

@eReaderOutfitter: Some pictures would be very nice! Thanks. Do you like it - overall?

Thanks
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote