Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
ereaders
Enthusiast
ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2
Deciding for T2

Hello:
After some researching, I was thinking of getting a Kobo mini then Kobo Touch but now I think I might go for Sony T2.
I have a few questions regarding durability and features.

1. How long does the Sony battery last (from experience of previous model)?
2. If not rooted, does T2 capable to read PDF file well?
2. Does a rooted T2 remove the Handwriting recognition feature?
3. How slow is the rooted T2 as ereader?

Thank you.
ereaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Why not a Kobo Glo?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
ereaders
Enthusiast
ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Why not a Kobo Glo?
Kobo Glo might have battery issue.
I also want to be able to run Android apps like Kingsoft office to read excel and word files.
Multi language support is needed.
Most importantly, Sony T2 has physical buttons and it will allow me to go back to home page if things didn't work. Kobo Glo relies on touch screen, If things go wrong I am stuck with the touch screen.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Uh, you can't run Android apps on a Sony T2 as it is.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
ereaders
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Uh, you can't run Android apps on a Sony T2 as it is.
Unless this claims is false:

http://liliputing.com/2012/10/you-ca...roid-apps.html
Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
T2 can be rooted/jailbreaked for firmware 1.0.04.x and earlier.
The hole is closed with 1.0.05.x

See here

You may also want to follow/check the T1/T2 related threads over at the e-book.org

Last edited by Mark Nord; 02-26-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
ereaders
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
T2 can be rooted/jailbreaked for firmware 1.0.04.x and erarlier.
The hole is closed with 1.0.05.x

See here

You may also want to follow/check the T1/T2 related threads over at the e-book.org
I would assume that I wouldn't know the T2 firmware version until I bought it and power it on. Right?

Thank you.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
To my understanding fw version 1.0.05.xx is only released for EU-models.
So it will depend on where you are located and how fast stock turns at your supplier.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is why it's good to put in a location in your profile so we can answer correctly based on your location.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
ereaders
Enthusiast

Toronto Ontario Canada
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I have the T2, battery life is very good, I read a lot (at least one book a day) and it lasts for weeks. It is happy with pdf as well. I have made no changes to it out of box other than to NOT use sony software, I control it using Calibre.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
ereaders
Enthusiast

Great! I just ordered a T2 online. Not a bad deal in Canada. After tax free shipping for $118.64 Canadian dollars