Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Slightly off topic but does this price from borders for a wifi seem a little off colour?
http://www.borders.com.au/electronic...lack/13950044/
Whoops - someone hit the wrong button there. Hope you bought one, it's a bargain.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
The Sony Bookstore has it for $14.99 (for Canadians). This can be read on the Kobo without and conversion.
Shows as $19.66 for me on the Sony bookstore, the $14.99 price is for the USA I think.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Off of Barnes and Noble, you can buy the HARD Cover for $11.95!!!

What gives with $20.00 for an e-book off of Kobo?!??!?
Jeez..... Time to go 'buy' (smile) my book store and pick this up...in PULP!

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 01-07-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
In the UK both Kobo and Kindle versions are £9.99

And Amazon is taking £9.00 for the HB version.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #20
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Seems pretty pricey...but I am glad I paid the $20. This is a keeper! I've already started reading it and I am fully engrossed. I just love SK! I also bought Under the Dome a while back, but that sucker is soooo long I get intimidated before I even open it up!

This book was #1 Sci-Fi book on the goodreads.com poll. I had to read the book that beat out Ready Player One (which I voted for - my fav book of last year!).
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #21
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
If there's an illegal epub floating around on the net, chances are it came from a legal copy. Don't forget to check stores other than Kobo/Chapters. I found some books elsewhere on the internet where I could get them legally even though Kobo didn't have it. There is no way I'm paying $20 when you can get a paper copy for less What's going on with this price fixing crap.

Last edited by m_bisson; 01-09-2012 at 08:57 AM.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Man, I bought this sucker - and while it's a fab book, the formatting is off!!! There are no spaces after any text formatted in italics (so the words all run into each other) - and since there's a lot of text in italics, it's very difficult to read at times. Guess that's what you get for paying a premium on a book! Anyone know why this could be? If I complained to Kobo, wonder if I can get a refund?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Which format are you reading? Kobo ePub (downloaded via WiFi or Kobo Desktop) or true ePub (loaded via ADE)?

In either case, get in touch with Kobo support and report this. There are ongoign issues with formatting issues on ePubs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It seems to be an issue with 11/22/63 purchased from Kobo. My ePub copy doesn't have italics issues.

The other issue this book is going to have is that if you use a Kobo reader to read this, the main base embedded font will not display. You have Kobo to thank for that one. They have a bug in embedded fonts and even went told of it, they refuse to fix it. The main embedded font is turned on via the body style. Kobo ignores font-family in body in the CSS. Way to go Kobo. The ePub looks very nice the way it is set with all the different embedded fonts. But without the main embedded font, it just won;t look nearly as nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
pokee
Fanatic

Yeah, it's Kobo epub. Good to know about the fonts issues are exclusive to Kobo - that certainly helped my case! I sent a complaint email and asked for a credit - we'll see what happens!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #26
FreeThinker
FreeThinker began at the beginning.

Device: KoBo Touch
Just finished this book, Superb. Had some slight issues with formatting (spurious ? and random misspelt words, erratic formatting at times) converted from mobi via calibre so that may have some impact and I've not checked the original download yet. Didn't detract from the pleasure of reading too much.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
Just finished this book, Superb. Had some slight issues with formatting (spurious ? and random misspelt words, erratic formatting at times) converted from mobi via calibre so that may have some impact and I've not checked the original download yet. Didn't detract from the pleasure of reading too much.
You lost a lot of the enjoyment of the book. The ePub is very nicely made. It has a lot of embedded fonts and they are used very well. Why would you get a Mobipocket copy when you have an ePub capable reader?

Yes I enjoyed the story. But the fonts did make it that little bit nicer to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You lost a lot of the enjoyment of the book. The ePub is very nicely made. It has a lot of embedded fonts and they are used very well. Why would you get a Mobipocket copy when you have an ePub capable reader?

Yes I enjoyed the story. But the fonts did make it that little bit nicer to read.
That's interesting. I wasn't aware there were major differences in formatting between the two formats.

I too bought 11-22-64 in mobi because I bought it and read it on my Kindle before I got my Kobo Touch.

Can you give an example of a passage where embedded fonts are used? so I can see how that looks in my copy?

Thanks
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Yeah My Kindle format looks great(Not worth the extra money).
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
FreeThinker
FreeThinker began at the beginning.

Device: KoBo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I too did not realize that the formatting would be different from an epub. As I have an account at amazon and the price was a little cheaper than Kobo epub(where I have not set up an account yet) I just downloaded from amazon. I've only had my Kobo a few weeks so lesson learned Still an engrossing read
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote