Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
fabian
Enthusiast
fabian began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Request: Silent updates.

Hi,

I am truely amazed by the blistering pace of calibre development. Every couple of days, a new version is being published. I know I don't really have to install updates, but somehow I have an intrinsic desire to keep my software up to date. Downloading and installing those (large) packages manually is kinda painful, so I would really enjoy having some kind of automatic updater, perferrably a silent one like in Google Chrome. I wouldn't know how to program one myself, so I hope that isn't too big a wish.

Regards
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Development Sub-forum is not for feature requests. Please read this sticky post before posting again in that forum. Thread moved to general forum.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-15-2011 at 05:17 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Kovid has already said that working out any automated update mechanism that works across all the platforms that Calibre works on is a non-trivial task. As such it is very low down any current list of new features as the pain/gain trade-off is seen as too much on the side of 'pain'.

Of course this does not mean that it will never happen, particulariy if someone who is both interested and has the requisite skills starts working on it and submitting patches to Kovid.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Not everyone wants an automated update mechanism (including me).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Same here. I block all auto updates from everything except for my AV program and WinXP updates, and WinXP is set to notify me only, not just do it automatically.

Having 50 programs all set to update automatically makes it impossible to try and catch something installing on your computer from another malicious source. Most update programs run daily to check for the updates, which at times is just annoying to have something you're working on or a game freeze during those checks. When you have a lot of programs installed, those constant update checks can really slow down your system.

Sometimes an update will cause severe problems on your system. Good luck trying to pin down what caused the problem to undo the update when they're done automatically. I'd much rather know exactly what is being installed and when, and install only what I choose to install.

Having a program do a check only when started and let you know if there's an update is the ideal solution.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ditto.
Calibre moves fast.

Stuff happens .

Rollbacks takes minutes

Not every update applies to this user (Many upgrades just offer new features mostly for brand a n k devices )

IMHO
IF
Automatic updates (were crammed down my throat), they should only apply to patches that prevent damage to your Data or Device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote