Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
frangapanni
frangapanni began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDF conversion

Hi!

I got a Kobo for xmas.

I was hoping to be able to scan some school notes in, pdf them and then convert them using calibre.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, cause I'm only getting the cover page.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers!
frangapanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frangapanni View Post
Hi!

I got a Kobo for xmas.

I was hoping to be able to scan some school notes in, pdf them and then convert them using calibre.

Cheers!
You should (probably) de-drm it first.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you scan them are you also OCR'ing them ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
You should (probably) de-drm it first.
If they're home-scanned, they shouldn't be DRM'd, should they?
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangapanni View Post
Hi!

I got a Kobo for xmas.

Cheers!
No idea why you're only getting a cover page, but just out of curiosity, why not load them on the kobo in pdf? It's not ideal, but it does work.
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
If they're home-scanned, they shouldn't be DRM'd, should they?
No they would not have DRM on them, somebody obviously did not read what the problem was.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
No they would not have DRM on them, somebody obviously did not read what the problem was.
Yes, somebody obviously did read what problem was, but simply
did ask one step further in case original poster wanted to know
something different.
Sorry if I offended the thread.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
The scan to pdf probably made bit mapped images out of all the pages. Calibre took the first image and made it the cover. Calibre then did not find any text to convert so you ended up with an empty document. The epub file may contain all the pages, as images, but without some links to them you can't open them. Try loading the pdf onto your Kobo and see what it looks like.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KjellM View Post
The scan to pdf probably made bit mapped images out of all the pages. Calibre took the first image and made it the cover. Calibre then did not find any text to convert so you ended up with an empty document. The epub file may contain all the pages, as images, but without some links to them you can't open them. Try loading the pdf onto your Kobo and see what it looks like.
Leads me to the next question, are these handwritten notes? If so then yes converting them to PDF would have made them images instead of text. If not, and they are a text file, you might be better off just using Sigil and just copy/paste the text into it.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
puppywuppy
puppywuppy began at the beginning.

Device: LookBook ereader
Okay, I don't know much about my new Kobo Lookbook, but I ordered a book, and it won't sync with my ereader. It's online when I look there, but the sync won't go. Any suggestions?
puppywuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
frangapanni
frangapanni began at the beginning.

Device: none
No offence taken,

No the notes aren't hand written. I study externally so get everything in a book format, I have just scanned the provided book in.

Using them as a PDF is ok but can be a bit painful, my biggest problem is that the margins are huge.

Each page is stored as a TIF file. I just printed them to PDF.
frangapanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dxg and newfound Icarus 8
you might want to check out 'sam2p' (google is your friend) .. It does a good job of converting tif/jpg/etc to pdf ... Mung all the pages together with 'pdftk' ... shazam, a book
ImageMagicks -convert- does a similar operation, but sam2p's files are way smaller and faster conversion process

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
amo
Teaist

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppywuppy View Post
Okay, I don't know much about my new Kobo Lookbook, but I ordered a book, and it won't sync with my ereader. It's online when I look there, but the sync won't go. Any suggestions?
Puppy, you're in a sub-thread that's talking about a different topic entirely. Try looking on the main kobo board, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=223, you might find your question about how to use your kobo has already been answered for someone else.