Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
stangcbr
stangcbr began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Rooted nook issues w/ volume, charger, power, bat life, display

I rooted my nook as soon as I got it (present for wife) and have been using it for a week now so I can't vouch for it pre-root. However, I have noticed some things that appear to be software issues and others that may be hardware related, and I am wondering about the need to exchange it. I am hoping others can let me know if these have happened to them. The issues are as follows:

1) Volume buttons behave oddly, half the time. They go up when I press down or vice versa. Sometimes you keep clicking the button and it won't come off mute. Sometimes I lose sound all together even when not muted.

2) Charger will stop charging when I turn it off even though the light on the cord is on. Going into standby still allows it to charge though. It will be plugged in, but the charge status does not show it charging if it was turned off and then back on.

3) Power button is finicky. It has to be mashed beyond it just clicking to start or turnoff. At walmart today, their button worked with much less touch.

4) Today, all the items on the home screen were gray, even after several reboots. I had to click on each one and move around the books to get them to show an image again.

5) Battery life is pretty dismal. I am guessing around 5-6 hours playing games with wifi on. With it rooted, I heard it is running the battery down because it thinks it is a cell phone and has zero reception. Any truth to this?

6) Yesterday, I saw the extras -> apps page have all the icons slide off into oblivion at several different times. Also blank spaces appeared between app icons. Had to restart to fix. I eventually removed all the recent apps that I had downloaded and I havent seen the issue today.

Somethings I may have to live with due to rooting, but others maybe not. Other than these problems, this thing is awesome! Those pigs have been getting a beating by my birds! Thanks all in advance for your help!
stangcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
MissResa
MissResa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I noticed the same thing regarding the volume with my Nook Color. Just got the device today. Rooted it. Found out that after sleeping...the volume no longer works. I'm considering unrooting and taking it back to Barnes and Nobles.
MissResa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
It seems the loss of volume is a problem with some units. Those who haven't rooted had the issue. Immediately exchange it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
It seems the loss of volume is a problem with some units. Those who haven't rooted had the issue. Immediately exchange it.
Agreed. The "no sound after sleep" issue has nothing to do with rooting, exchange your unit. Happened to me.
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Easycool
Easycool began at the beginning.

My NC has so very low audio. I thought it was normal. Thanks for letting me know it might be my unit. I thought I was losing my cookies er, hearing.
Easycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Easycool
Easycool began at the beginning.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my NC has never been rooted - yet. I'm seriously thinking of rooting. Any advice on which method to use would be greatly appreciated.
Easycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
rubedude
rubedude began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Smile batterylife

I've noticed a shorter battery life. Went into spare parts and turned off Bluetooth. As far as the volume and power buttons, so far they seem to respond with the original sensitivity. Must say the rooted nook is by far better then original system. So many more optikns. You can find how to videos on YouTube.

I've invested in so many Kindle books and wanted to be able to read on color nook. Did a lot of research online. Be sure to take note of dates of post and videos. I found out latest nook (July 2011) needs to be repartioned to root. Those instructions are online as welll.
Happy reading, surfing etc....
rubedude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, button, charger, power, volume