Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
BrittaVentura
BrittaVentura began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
PRS 700 suddenly reboots while reading txt

I sneakely got a Sony PRS 700 from a good friend from the USA and am now happily reading anywhere I like. I got epub and some txt files. Everything went smoothly until last night.
The reader suddenly rebooted, when I was turning a page reading a txt. I got a blank screen and then the friendly start up page until I got back into menu.
This is now happening on various txts and I never know when it is going to happen.
Problem is is doesn't remember what page I was on. Adn (I am not too sure her) it seems to be happenening always at the same page of a txt.
Any good advices or ideas?
Shoudl I rather change the stuff to rich text before uploading it? Could it be a problem because the txts are in collections? Or maybe because they are on the readers harddrive and not on my sd card?

I will be very thankful for any suggestion.
thank you, Britta
BrittaVentura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
well I've never ran into that problem. but if you can share one of the text files that this happens on I could test it.

99% of the time it's the text file.

99% of the books I read are LRFs created in book designer.
10% come from txt, (due to horrible formatting like no italics, I try to avoid unless I have no choice)
20% RTF (nothing wrong with it)
40% HTML (Nothing wrong with it, except sometimes I have to remove links if they were in the text to move between paragraphs)
30% Lit (my prefrence start format but not a lot of stuff has it)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I've had that happen to me twice since I got mine in January, but I don't remember what I was reading at the time. I seem to recall that some of the other books that were bookmarked under Notes had disappeared when the reader was back on. The book was still on my reader, but I had to pull it up and find where it was that I left off and re-bookmark it. I'll pay more attention next time, if it happens again.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Tricky
Tricky began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I had the same problem for like two days, then I realized all the books that restarted the prs 700 were in the SD card, I switched it off, took off the card, reinserted the card and turned it back on, never had another restart since then...

hope that helps
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Tricky! I'll try that if it ever happens again!

BTW, Welcome to MobileRead!
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard

Well, my reader just did it again today. I swiped to turn the page on what I was reading and it went blank and then started rebooting. It came back up to the Home screen, and the thing that I noticed was that some, but not all, bookmarked pages under "Notes" went back to an earlier date. I have several daily devotionals I read and the bookmarks came back dated July 19th. And one of those books was not listed at all under Notes. Though the book was still in my list of books. I just had to go back to the last date I read from it and rebookmark it again. Funny thing is that I now remember that this is the same thing it did the last time and the very same book was missing from Notes. The "Continue Reading" square showed a book that I hadn't been reading when this happened with a July date, though I know I have read it more recently than that. I didn't try taking out and reinserting my SD card, as I was just trying to pay closer attention to what had taken place. If it happens again I will certainly try that. Very strange...