Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #106
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Is it possible that those splotches some are seeing at the bottom of the screen are simply smudge marks left over from the processing plant caused by the way it was handled on the assembly line?

If that is the problem, perhaps this product can remove them:

http://www.amazon.com/PixelClean-Wet...=IE5J3AN7J4KP3

I use them on my other Kindles to remove finger print marks and on all my LCD TV's and gadgets.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #107
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here are some photos of just the KPW. Photos are so so and don't show the light shadows and blotching as well as my eyes see them. Coloring is too tan as well. Think grays not tans!

KPW with light Brightness Set to 0/24 (Off):

KPW with light Brightness Set to 14/24 (Off):

What my eyes see is a bad darkening area which is kind of visible in the above photo as a darker tan area covering much of the first paragraph on the page and about half of the second. You can see other dark shadow areas at bottom of screen. My screen is showing large areas darker than others.

KPW with light Brightness Set to 24/24 (Off):

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #108
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
WOW, you're looks fantastic compared to mine!!
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #109
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
If I get a new eReader I do not want to start with cleaning it!

Hope that all when unboxing thought about removing the plastic bag

Now I know why we do not getting it in Germany yet. Amazon wants to run beta testing in the home country first

Your reports are disappointing. I am sorry for you! The many reviews sounded to me like commercials and propaganda (almost). Maybe it was just a big marketing offence?
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #110
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowi View Post
When I got my Kindle Fire I was disappointed because the lowest brightness setting was still too bright to read in a totally dark room. How dim does the PW go? Can you dim it to the point where it's almost so dim you can't even see the words or is the lowest setting pretty bright?
You can turn the light all the way off. You will always be able to see the words on the eink screen unless you are in total darkness (like with a physical book).
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #111
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post
WOW, you're looks fantastic compared to mine!!
No it probably doesn't. These photos are washing out the bad effects. If you turned up the contrast on the photos you would probably see a better likeness. I'm having a really tough time photographing this screen. I'm thinking it is the built in light and the lack of a professional studio and lack of photo knowledge. I'm really good at astrophotography but not daylight photography!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #112
Helgetus
Zealot

@jswinden
When I tilt my laptop up a little I can notice the dark areas you describe. It is not an even lighting at all. It is much better than my Kindle 3 lighted cover. It is not as in the promotion videos and reviews!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #113
Helgetus
Zealot

@jswinden
Are there 3 LED's or 4 LED's. Your fotos look like there are only 3! I was of the impression that they want to install 4 LED'S. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #114
jswinden
Nameless Being

Oh, and not to sound like Steve Jobs, but one more thing, the KPW is pretty bad with fingerprints though they only show up in certain light. Probably not an issue when reading, but at some angles you can really see where you touch and swipe a lot!

Okay I lied--another thing too: The somewhat fuzziness of the fonts at lower light brightness levels is fairly obvious to me to be the additional substrate layers. When Sony first made touch screen eReaders they had terribly fuzzy fonts. The fuzziness isn't that bad as the PRS-x00 line, but it is definately caused by the substrate IMO. I was so afraid this would be the case, but was hoping I would be pleasantly surprised. But to be brutally honest, the new KPW screen when viewed with the light totally off shows fonts pretty close to the fuzziness level of pre-Pearl screens. The KPW screen with light off looks to be just better than the old pre-Pearl screens and much worse than the first Pearl screens. Yuk!!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #115
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
@jswinden
Are there 3 LED's or 4 LED's. Your fotos look like there are only 3! I was of the impression that they want to install 4 LED'S. Maybe I'm wrong.
Looks like 5 LED's. There seems to be two on the far sides and three distributed across the middle width at the bottom.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #116
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
@jswinden
When I tilt my laptop up a little I can notice the dark areas you describe. It is not an even lighting at all. It is much better than my Kindle 3 lighted cover. It is not as in the promotion videos and reviews!
The Kindle Fire has the same issue. The splotches at the bottom are from the LED/LCD. You might not notice it unless you are in a reader app using a theme like sepia.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #117
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Okay I lied--another thing too: The somewhat fuzziness of the fonts at lower light brightness levels is fairly obvious to me to be the additional substrate layers. When Sony first made touch screen eReaders they had terribly fuzzy fonts. The fuzziness isn't that bad as the PRS-x00 line, but it is definately caused by the substrate IMO. I was so afraid this would be the case, but was hoping I would be pleasantly surprised. But to be brutally honest, the new KPW screen when viewed with the light totally off shows fonts pretty close to the fuzziness level of pre-Pearl screens. The KPW screen with light off looks to be just better than the old pre-Pearl screens and much worse than the first Pearl screens. Yuk!!
Is this at a certain font size or something, because I'm looking at mine right now has I can't see any fuzziness like you used to see on some earlier generation devices.

I'm wondering if the lamination of the screen layers is better on some screens than others or something.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Time to call for a replacement. I think you got a grey eInk which I did when I first got my K4 last year. I wouldn't settle with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Because it's treated as one word, and if it started on the 4th line, it would need to read "red--" and there isn't enough space for "red--".
This then is a serious bug in the Kindle software. It should be treated as red- not as red--. I don't know of any other reading software or even word processing software that has this bug.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #120
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Oh, in case anyone cares the non-SO version doesn't use the dead author 'screensavers' it uses close up shots of pencils and things (IIRC the original Fire had something like this on its lockscreen).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote