Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Major Nook update coming soon

I'm really looking forward to it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...CmoreStories.0
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I was expecting a new nook
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Me too, starting to think I am going to need to pick a device before they do. Of course, then the new nook will come out the next day!
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
mopping five
Enthusiast
mopping five doesn't littermopping five doesn't litter

Device: nook
twobits, I've been thinking the same thing. I'm very cynical, I think it'd be a good idea for them to announce this now because might keep some people on the fence about buying now from waiting till Christmas to see if a new one comes out.

Why else announce this so far in advance?

(here's the link on the nook board at B&N)http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ng/ba-p/686942

Last edited by mopping five; 10-18-2010 at 03:00 PM.
mopping five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if the major update isn't slated until close to the end of November I highly doubt you'll see any new Nook 2 device.

We don't have all the details but from what it sounds like these are some major improvements, enhancements and features that have been missing.

overall I think these are the type of features that would make the Nook a more complete device. I believe like many, the hardware is great. No reason to change it. It's stylish, it's sleek, obviously one of the main selling points is the color touch screen at the bottom. It has great feel to it. The screen contrast is excellent.

So they are improving on the software ends of it.

just my opinion but in reality they really don't need an a "new look". Since it's look and outward features have been among it's main assets to begin with.
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I am happy with this. I want the NOOK I have to work better rather than buy a new one so soon after getting the one I got. The only thing that might make me buy a new one is if it was lighter than the one I have.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
Me too, starting to think I am going to need to pick a device before they do. Of course, then the new nook will come out the next day!
At least with the nook you get updates! If your looking for a new device each year then Sony is the way to go. Very solid devices and decent software behind them.

On the other hand, if your looking for your first device, like it looks like twobits is, then you may want to also consider that while the Sony comes out with a new model every year it is at the expense of updates - I've not seen an update for my PRS-900 while I think the nook as had several in the same time frame. And not all of them were bug fixes either.

So it may not be a new model, but it is refreshing to see them making an effort to improve the product they have and not trying to force people into buying a whole new device in order to get updated features.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
I have been waiting so patiently for this, I can't wait!!
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
So was I.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
So it may not be a new model, but it is refreshing to see them making an effort to improve the product they have and not trying to force people into buying a whole new device in order to get updated features.
Apple does it. New iPhones each year plus updates for older models. B&N can do the same.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Apple does it. New iPhones each year plus updates for older models. B&N can do the same.
Umm apple doesnt provide the new firmware versions to their older phones android does but with apple you have to buy the current iphone
Old 10-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Umm apple doesnt provide the new firmware versions to their older phones android does but with apple you have to buy the current iphone
Quote:
iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
Apple
Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Ah, that explains why I couldn't upload Nook for Android the other day.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Very happy with the way B&N has kept updating and improving the nook. It is already a great device so any additional improvements are awesome.

I have a feeling though the nook 2 is a long way off though.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopping five View Post
twobits, I've been thinking the same thing. I'm very cynical, I think it'd be a good idea for them to announce this now because might keep some people on the fence about buying now from waiting till Christmas to see if a new one comes out.
They might have warehouses full of current Nooks. Who would buy the current one when the new one is around the corner? That's probably why they won't announce it...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote