Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
goglen
Slug Munchies
goglen began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7, Nook Touch, Kindle 3
Nexus 7, Chrome, canoot "see" Calibre content server

I've used Calibre for over a year - but was frustrated when we bought our Nexus 7 in July - could not transfer books there (only newly purchased from Amazon).

Dedicated today to solving that -- I've spent hours reading everything; I was on Calibre 0.8.60, saw wireless was added on x.65, downloaded x.66 today and purchased the Calibre Companion app.

I've been able to "send" books to our Nexus (even tweaking it to store them in the Kindle app folder - hoping to sync bookmarks with my wife's Kindle 3 - but that is a different discussion) - but I cannot browse FROM the Nexus.

I have everything enabled, and I can see my library from any PC in house -- //desktop:8080 (yeah, I know, a generic name... but it works: desktop, NAS, laptop, kids, work)

Chrome, on our Nexus 7, continually gives "Oops! Google Chrome could not find desktop:8080" -- no matter how many different ways I try... with slashes (both directions), etc.

I even tried the IP address...

Ugh! Any ideas?

(I've read this forum for a while, and have enjoyed the learning results - had to join today to figure out what's wrong? Seriously, I'm not that drunk!

*edit: Corrected goofy typos. We're also GMT-7, so only 5 pm now.

Last edited by goglen; 08-26-2012 at 08:28 PM.
goglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Be sure you DO Not have a password set in the Content server (compatibility issues) preferences.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by goglen View Post
Dedicated today to solving that -- I've spent hours reading everything; I was on Calibre 0.8.60, saw wireless was added on x.65, downloaded x.66 today and purchased the Calibre Companion app.

I've been able to "send" books to our Nexus (even tweaking it to store them in the Kindle app folder - hoping to sync bookmarks with my wife's Kindle 3 - but that is a different discussion) - but I cannot browse FROM the Nexus.
Just to make sure we're on the same page, have you started the content server? The content server is a different beast from Calibre Companion and must be started separately.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
We are going to add "pull" (browsing) somehow to CC at some point, but that doesn't help you now.
Quote:
I have everything enabled, and I can see my library from any PC in house -- //desktop:8080 (yeah, I know, a generic name... but it works: desktop, NAS, laptop, kids, work)

Chrome, on our Nexus 7, continually gives "Oops! Google Chrome could not find desktop:8080" -- no matter how many different ways I try... with slashes (both directions), etc.

I even tried the IP address...

Ugh! Any ideas?
Given that CC can connect, your device clearly can see "desktop". That eliminates several possibilities.

Things to try:
  1. How is CC set up? Did you enter the IP address? If so, did you try that IP address in the content server (CS)? If not, did you try the IP address shown on the Share/Connect menu?
  2. Did you try "http://192.168.x.y:8080/browse", using your correct IP address? Adding "/browse" will take you to the desktop version. This URL works on my galaxy nexus.
  3. As theducks asked, did you enable passwords on the CS? Kovid & I made some changes to the CS a while back to support passwords in android browsers, but something might have changed again. Try removing the password.
  4. As dwanthny asked, are you sure the CS is turned on? I think it is because you said you could connect from other machines, but it is always worth starting at the beginning.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
goglen
Slug Munchies

dwanthny- I do have the content as I can see it from the other PCs in our house.

chaley - 192.168.0.2:8080 "spins" for a while (a minute?) whereas //desktop:8080 fails immediately. So does //desktop:8080/browse

However... 192.168.0.2:8080/browse -- works! I almost frustratingly installed alternative browsers last night, but didn't want to clutter the tablet. Now, time to play with the CS...

Thanks!
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
goglen
Slug Munchies

chaley - I see on your site you have a php server... I'm not a UNIX guy, but I'd love for a way to run a content server on my ReadyNAS - after all, that's where my libraries are, and my PC goes to sleep after a couple hours of "lack of attention".

Since the ReadyNAS runs on Linux - is that what your php server code is for? There are lots of addons for the ReadyNAS (Plex, etc)...

Related to that, I have 3 separate Calibre libraries - mine (Sci-Fi, mainly), wife (anti-sci-fi), and "youth" for the kids... but I don't see a way to switch back & forth between libraries
Old 08-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
chaley - I see on your site you have a php server... I'm not a UNIX guy, but I'd love for a way to run a content server on my ReadyNAS - after all, that's where my libraries are, and my PC goes to sleep after a couple hours of "lack of attention".

Since the ReadyNAS runs on Linux - is that what your php server code is for? There are lots of addons for the ReadyNAS (Plex, etc)...
There are several alternate calibre content servers. Mine is one, there is something called BicBucStriim, and there is one called COPS. To my knowledge, all of these run on linux systems. I can't say whether or not any will run on your NAS.
Quote:
Related to that, I have 3 separate Calibre libraries - mine (Sci-Fi, mainly), wife (anti-sci-fi), and "youth" for the kids... but I don't see a way to switch back & forth between libraries
I don't think any of the servers support multiple libraries. You need to run a server instance per lib.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote