Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #1
alec123
alec123 doesn't litteralec123 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Mini, [also Kobo H2O v1]
How to remove "ghost" series from device

Just had to reset my Clara HD and after updating it with Calibre am noticing some ghost series which don't correspond to any books which have ever been on the device. The books don't show up on the device list on Calibre, or on the device.

It's really weird and puzzling. Any ideas on how to get rid of these things? They're like mosquito bites.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1792_modified.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	192329  
alec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:47 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Series tab is built from books on the device. If you open the actual series, you will see the books that are in that series. Are you saying that the books do not appear when you open the series? If they do not, check what the filter is set to at the top left. The simplest guess would be that they are previews. And that the filter is set to something else. And calibre will not show previews unless you select the option in the driver configuration.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #3
alec123
alec123 doesn't litteralec123 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Mini, [also Kobo H2O v1]
Davidfor, thank you for reminding me about the "previews". Because I run with a patched system, only use Calibre, and never enable wifi, they never have been visible. The Calibre driver settings were right (previews box not checked). Following on the suggestion you gave in this thread Kobo books not deleted from device, I reset the account on the Clara and then resynched with Calibre. The ghost series are gone now. Whew.

Thank you!
alec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
malucry
malucry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Series tab is built from books on the device.
Hi everyone! But what if I have a new Libra 2, there are many "ghost books" approx. 60 in Authors/Series tabs. When I open any it shows "You have no books yet. Add eBooks from your computer by connecting with the USB cable". I have skipped registering by "SideloadedMode=true" so I don't have an account and I don't want to.

Quote:
I don't want to do a factory reset yet but is this behavior typical?

Also is it possible (with Calibre etc.) to note which books on the device are previews? I have been looking at the file size in Calibre of the books I know I have removed, then checking it on the device and deleting them manually.

Quote:
By default, calibre will not show the previews. To see them you have to turn on an option in the driver. Then they will be shown in the device list and will have the collection "Preview".

I have no idea where find this option. Please, help me with very simple explanation. Thanks
malucry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:05 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by malucry View Post
Hi everyone! But what if I have a new Libra 2, there are many "ghost books" approx. 60 in Authors/Series tabs. When I open any it shows "You have no books yet. Add eBooks from your computer by connecting with the USB cable". I have skipped registering by "SideloadedMode=true" so I don't have an account and I don't want to.
I don't know. I would need to see the database and config file from the device to get an idea of it. And a list of which series are in this state.

Quote:
I have no idea where find this option. Please, help me with very simple explanation. Thanks
If you are in sideloaded mode, there should not be anything. But, I suppose if you turned on sideloaded mode after having used the device for a while, there might be some left-over books causing problems.

But, the option is in the driver in calibre. Run calibre and connect the device. When the connection jobs have finished, right-click the device but on choose "Configure this device". The options you are looking for are on the third tab in the middle group. When you select these and press OK, calibre will ask to restart. When it has and has finished getting the list of books from the device, go to the device list and look for books in collections "Recommendations", "Previews" and "Archived". Or any other unexpected books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2022, 04:34 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@malucry, your ghost series could be due to some bug in 4.31 (which is very buggy (go back to 4.30 and patch it to not update over WiFi)).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Jon; please.. it gets quite tiring to see every time someone has an issue, you advise them to downgrade.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #8
malucry
malucry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@davidfor, @JSWolf, thanks guys, @4.31, running Calibre as stated above finally solved the problem
malucry is offline   Reply With Quote