Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
New firmware fixes crashing/freezing - please disregard above poll

I posted this poll when the T1 first came out to try to get a handle on the crashing/freezing problems.

Since then (as of Dec 9, 2011), Sony has released a new firmware update (v 1.0.03.11140) to correct the crashes/freezes.

As such, the poll results are no longer relevant - please disregard poll.

You can get the new firmware here:

US for Mac & PC: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...d#/downloadTab

UK for Windows: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/pro...PC_v1003_11140

UK for MAC: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/pro...AC_v1003_11140

You can also update via the Reader for Mac/PC software by clicking the "Help" menu command then clicking "Check for Updates."

Last edited by pssquirrel; 12-12-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added links to firmware update
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Got mine last Friday (Oct 7). Connected to the Sony site, downloaded 4 books from the current books in my account, started reading 1 of the books and now on page 326.

No hiccups, no crashes, nothing... all working fine.
I have not connected the reader to the PC or MAC software.

Internal Memory 1.39GB of 1.41GB
No SD Card
Version 1.0.00.09010
WiFi configured and enabled

Last edited by wachuko; 10-10-2011 at 02:09 PM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
mine only seems to freeze (no touch) when i swipe a bit off and open a word to the dictionary, after that it's all downhill. Probably frozen 5 times so far in the last 2 days. I must be swiping wrong because every 3 or 4 swipes i open that stupid dictionary up.

Last edited by krighton; 10-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
mine only seems to freeze (no touch) when i swipe a bit off and open a word to the dictionary, after that it's all downhill. Probably frozen 5 times so far in the last 2 days.
Can you share some additional information like amount of free memory, version of the software, if you have SD card in place, WiFi enabled?
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
can you please make poll public if you're doing one like this so we can see who is trolling and who really has the device...
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
I bought mine last night from Target and it froze twice when the pages went haywire. I first hit the power button, which took me to the main home screen, which was frozen as well. I then held the power button until the unit turned completely off. I immediately turned the T1 back on and it worked fine.

So, for the freezes with no solution, turn the unit completely off, then back on.

Sony needs to fix this issue.

For available space: blank

SD space: blank (no card inserted)

wifi: enabled
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Can you share some additional information like amount of free memory, version of the software, if you have SD card in place, WiFi enabled?
8gb SD card (though i had a 2gb yesterday and it does the same thing) WIFI enabled
1.39gb of 1.41gb free
7.39gb of 7.41gb (sd)

Version 1.0.00.09010
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
can you please make poll public if you're doing one like this so we can see who is trolling and who really has the device...
How do I do this? When I went to "edit" it only let me edit the text of my first post, not the poll settings. (Sorry for my newbieness)

Last edited by pssquirrel; 10-10-2011 at 03:34 PM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
I don't see an overabundance of any one selection to even imply 'trolling' as you put it. Why would you suggest such a thing? I must be missing something but I don't personally see a need for that. Does it really matter?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Extragooey
Extragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1
No crashes at all for me. Had it since 10/6.
Extragooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extragooey View Post
No crashes at all for me. Had it since 10/6.
E, Truthfully, the "crashes" appear to be with units that are pushing the envelope...which is not to excuse the failure(s)!!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It's happened to me twice. Once in a periodical and once in a large book (1700+ pages). I was using the device daily for a week and read one book (purchased with DRM) and one short story (borrowed from library) and have been reading another short story (public domain - no DRM) without any issues until it froze yesterday. Then today I had a weird issue where the text was all jumbled up. It was turning pages normally but text from the previous chapter was inserted in the middle of pages in the new chapter. I had to exit the book and then reload the current chapter.

I have no SD card and about 250 books loaded now. The one thing that did change was that until this weekend I only had about a dozen books loaded. The freezing happened after I loaded more books. Could be related or could just be coincidence...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
@Bookworm_Girl

Mine froze with only 12 books then again today with over 250 books. I don't believe the number of books is an issue.

I believe it is an OS issue that Sony didn't take the time or respect to correct before they shipped the product.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I've had no problems at all with my T1. I had quite a few problems with the Reader for PC software seizing up and crashing... but none with the device itself. I have about 140 books on it, no SD card.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #15
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I just checked w/dd and she has had no problems, running smoothly.

She has only hooked the t1 up for charging, everything loaded on it has been via WiFi, Sony store, google books and library overdrive downloads. She has had it since Sept 30th? 20+ books are loaded on it at this time. A variety of epub and manga pdf's. DRM & DRM-free.

Last edited by beespeckled; 10-11-2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: rephrasing
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote