Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
theBell
theBell began at the beginning.

Device: Irex
Project, Richard Branson's iPad-only magazine, now available in Apple's App Store

From the Los Angeles Times,

Pretty cool. I would really like to know how they created this magazine and how it will be reproduced each month. Does anyone know what company did this for Richard and what format this publication is in?

"Project magazine, Richard Branson's anticipated iPad-only publication, arrived in Apple's App Store today.

Branson's company, Virgin Group, described Project in a statement as "the first global magazine app for creative people about creative people."

In its premier issue, Project incorporates many of the same slick features seen in iPad versions of Wired and Sports Illustrated -- such as video and audio embedded into the articles, interactive graphics that change images at a touch command, and of course, interactive advertisements."
theBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I got the issue just to try it out. If I was the magazine buying type (I'm not), I'd be very happy to have my magazines in this format.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I am loving getting my magazines on my Ipad! I downloaded the Project App, but haven't bought the magazine yet.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
It’s made with Adobe InDesign, just like Wired and most other eMagazine apps. The problem with this: the pages are rendered in InDesign and then saved as big images. That’s why they are so hugh in file size, that’s why you can’t highlight or even copy text, and that’s why the font rendering looks so off compared to the native iOS font rendering.

I really love the animated front cover, but that’s about it. Apart from that, Project lacks interactivity, web connectivity, and most of all a simple and more appropriate navigation. The navigation between articles and the index is confusing. And I think it’s at least questionable weather the metaphor of pages and the swiping between them is favorable to the scrolling which we are used to from websites. I think the design of Project is too much print and too little display. And that’s really unfortunate given the hype surrounding these new iPad-only magazines. Let’s see how Murdoch’s magazine (I think it’s called Today) turns out.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote