Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Props for iPad case maker

I bought a cheapo iPad Nude case (30 bucks) from SwitchEasy, which has impressed me with its service.

The original case they sent me worked fine, but had a bumpy edge on one side, where it must've been cut from a mold. I e-mailed, got a quick apology, and was told I'd receive a replacement asap. They sent me one that was fine, but in the wrong color. I e-mailed and they apologized and expressed me the right one. I've spent all of 30 bucks with them and they've probably lost money on my purchase, but I have high regard for how they handled problems and would happily buy from them again, should I have need.

They didn't even want the first two cases returned, despite my offers to send 'em. (I think they messed up and sent me the wrong color because they rushed to get out a good batch to customers.)

In case anyone else is interested in checking out their stuff, which includes non-iPad cases:

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/N.../NUDE_iPad.php
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Thanks for the info., Maggie. This looks like it might be a better solution than the skins I've been considering buying, especially with the extras provided. Two questions: 1) Do I assume correctly that the case can be put on and taken off as desired?; 2) Do you know if the screen guard listed would leave any residue if it was ever removed? Thanks.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
does this case rest flat on its back when on a hard flat surface? eg no rocking when typing.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Thanks for the info., Maggie. This looks like it might be a better solution than the skins I've been considering buying, especially with the extras provided. Two questions: 1) Do I assume correctly that the case can be put on and taken off as desired?; 2) Do you know if the screen guard listed would leave any residue if it was ever removed? Thanks.
Batman, yes, you can pop off the case as you please. I wouldn't wrench it, of course, but it's hardy for what it is. I've removed mine several times, to check whether there was rubbing on the back of the iPad after weeks of use (no); to try on the clear one that they mistakenly sent me; and to put on the replacement one they sent me in black.

About the screen guard: I just tried one because you asked. (I don't use 'em, but I have three because one came with each case.) No residue. It's only lightly tacky -- enough to cling to your screen, but not even sticky enough to pick up much lint off a shirt. (I just tried that, too, lol, before I trashed the screen guard.)
Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
does this case rest flat on its back when on a hard flat surface? eg no rocking when typing.
stustaff, it's contoured exactly to the iPad's back, so it will rock if you put pressure on either edge of the iPad while it's on a flat surface. For typing, though, that's not a problem unless you're hitting the screen really hard, which doesn't seem necessary for a virtual keyboard. I'm typing on it now without problem.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
excellent Maggie thanks for the info I think I will place an order.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #7
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nice case! Can you post pics of your actual unit? I would like one either in black or orange and seeing yours might help me decide

Many thanks!
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Sure thing, stustaff. A note about the easels, which I like a lot: The bottoms are smooth, so be careful if you have them on a smooth surface. I accidentally knocked my Kindle while I had it in one of the easels on my dining table, and it skated across the table. I think I'm going to stick or paint something tacky-ish to the bottom of the easels or take care to put a paper napkin under when using on a flat surface. The iPad is heavier, so it might not skate, but just to be safe.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 06-10-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
Nice case! Can you post pics of your actual unit? I would like one either in black or orange and seeing yours might help me decide

Many thanks!
I would be glad to do this, but I am super lame and dunno how to post photos.

Mine is black, and it looks like the screen shots. (Dunno whether you know that you can click on the color samples on SwitchEasy's Web site and it'll show you each color case on an actual iPad.)

I got black because I didn't want the Apple logo shouting across the room. You can see the logo only if you're close. The black case is more a black translucent than a solid black. The clear case they sent me is actually clear; no tinting that I can tell.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Batman, yes, you can pop off the case as you please. I wouldn't wrench it, of course, but it's hardy for what it is. I've removed mine several times, to check whether there was rubbing on the back of the iPad after weeks of use (no); to try on the clear one that they mistakenly sent me; and to put on the replacement one they sent me in black.

About the screen guard: I just tried one because you asked. (I don't use 'em, but I have three because one came with each case.) No residue. It's only lightly tacky -- enough to cling to your screen, but not even sticky enough to pick up much lint off a shirt. (I just tried that, too, lol, before I trashed the screen guard.)

Maggie,

Thanks for the product testing . I'm really heartened to hear there's no discoloration, etc.; I think I may have to give it a shot. Customer service is usually my #1 criterion, and it sounds like this company "gets" the importance of that. Take care.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
+1 for SwitchEasy - I've a several of their iPhone/iPod Touch cases and have been very pleased with the products and service.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #12
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious

Quote:
Batman, yes, you can pop off the case as you please. I wouldn't wrench it, of course, but it's hardy for what it is. I've removed mine several times, to check whether there was rubbing on the back of the iPad after weeks of use (no); to try on the clear one that they mistakenly sent me; and to put on the replacement one they sent me...
Maggie,

One more question, if you don't mind: Is there a hole in the case for the ambient light sensor on the top edge of the iPad? Thanks, again.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Maggie,

One more question, if you don't mind: Is there a hole in the case for the ambient light sensor on the top edge of the iPad? Thanks, again.
No problem. Yup, there is.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious

Quote:

Maggie,

Thanks for the product testing . I'm really heartened to hear there's no discoloration, etc.; I think I may have to give it a shot. Customer service is usually my #1 criterion, and it sounds like this company "gets" the importance of that. Take care.
Quote:

Maggie,

Just wanted to update you on this. I was envisioning this being a rubbery product instead of hard plastic, so I was really surprised when it arrived. However, it has proven to be quite valuable, as I have been using this reading stand:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

, and when I looked at the back of the SwitchEasy case the other day, there were a number of light scratches from the stand on it that would likely have been deeper gouges on the iPad. So thanks again for the recommendation. Take care.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Glad to hear that Batman. I had a similar experience. I bought a lap desk with a washboard-like top. It scratch the heck out of my SwitchEasy case, but my iPad is still pristine. I'm still using it, even though I'm in Asia and can afford to go crazy. Tons of case choices, cheap (not the brand name ones, of course), but I find the SwitchEasy one serviceable enough that I can't justify buying another.