Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Thumbs down Who else thinks the Boox mp3 player is terrible?

In my experience it:

* Constantly crashes, for example if you go on the internet, or leave it paused, or many other things. You come back to the player and it just won't play.

* You can't easily skip to part of an audio track. To do so, you have to do some wierd operation like skip forward > hit play > then skip forward again!

These days a basic mp3 player is essential as part of an ebook reader, because so many books are in audio format.
I would like to be able to use it to go through my university lecture slides on pdf while I listen to the lecture.
But this is close to impossible to do on the Boox unless you sit there for the whole hour without touching the player.

The Boox could get a much bigger market if students could do this easily, because many lectures are now made available as mp3s and powerpoints or pdfs to download.

If they're going to advertise it as playing mp3s, the player should work in at least the most basic way.

(Being able to speed up or slow down the playback would also be a good future addition)

Please vote here if you think Onyx needs to improve this player to at least a decent level as a matter of priority!

Last edited by LivresInOz; 08-08-2010 at 01:00 PM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I never play MP3s on my Boox. I have a good MP3 player for that. So personally I have no problem with the player quality of the Boox.
But I agree with you that it should work as they sell it as having this feature. The way you want to use it is something that should be possible.
I have more problems with another feature that is supposed to work but hardly does so: the dictionary.
Let's hope they manage to improve things in new firmware versions.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
hello,
as for me i never used the mp3 function, but i did use the dictionary and it works pretty well with me: what problems do you experience? and where do you get the dictionaries?

best regards
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Dictionary problems:
1. Many stardict dictionaries just don't work.
2. The dictionary function does not recognize inflected or declined forms of words, but only the base form (e.g. it will find 'dictionary' but it won't find 'dictionaries'). As I want to use the dictionary function when reading Russian books this is a major problem for me. Perhaps 80 % of the words in a Russian text are not in the base form.
3. Lack of userfriendliness: too many stylus actions required.
4. When a word in the text you are reading is not found, you cannot do a manual lookup, and no relatred words are displayed.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
Well,
you are right. i'm lucky because i use it for english and spanish basically, and there are not many declined forms. but for the rest you are right. When i have to search for an english verb (excluding the termination -s or -ed) I select only the part of the word that should be searched. it usually works.
And you could add another problem: it's difficult to pass the page when the dictionary is open (you could do only with the stylus) and anyhow the window of the dictionary covers a part of the text.. so you have to close it if you want go on reading...

anyway, it got better with the last firmwares, so let's hope for the future.. :-)
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
The best working dictionary for me is wordnet. And yes the dictionary is not implemented very well. I wish they would do the double tap like on the Sony.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
Trafalmadorian
Trafalmadorian began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox60
Well, I don't use an ebook reader for listening mp3... I got an iPod for that. ;-)
Trafalmadorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox player mp3