Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
BBC: Do Typefaces Really Matter?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10689931

Quote:
To most people, typefaces are pretty insignificant. Yet to their devotees, they are the most important feature of text, giving subliminal messages that can either entice or revolt readers, says Tom de Castella.
I love a good typeface when I read. And, I remember not being able to get thru William Gibson's "Virtual Light", in part because of the typeface he chose for the hardcover book.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
There are always questions about whether quality tools really matter, whether those tools are musical instruments, eating utensils, stationery, computer peripherals, or just about anything that the layperson doesn't really give a damn about.

You'll always get people who are obsessed, and you'll get people who are apathetic.

I for one thought the choice of Papyrus or Papyrus Neue for Avatar's subtitles was lazy. I thought the Ikea switch to Verdana wasn't a great idea. Did I get inebriated, shouting and soiling myself in livid response? No (though I'm sure some folks did). Some design moves are bad, but most of them are survivable. Hell, we survived Geocities and Tripod websites in the 1990s. We survived the real world in the 1980s. So far, we've survived ebooks. The first Kindle managed to be successful, despite its horrid design.

But our ability to tolerate incompetence and mediocrity should not suggest that quality doesn't matter...at least in my opinion.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert