Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
skidrash
skidrash began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Browse Calibre content server from Kindle device?

Is there any way to browse a Calibre library directly from a Kindle device (jailbroken or otherwise)? I have a Kindle paperwhite and a large ebook collection stored on my NAS. I would like to install the Calibre Content server on the NAS and browse my collection over IP directly from the Kindle. I was thinking an app/plug-in/add-on Calibre client to load on the Kindle or a hack to temporarily redirect the built-in Kindle store to the content server...
skidrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
You should be able to browse using just the Experimental Browser on the Kindle.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
skidrash
skidrash began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Hmmm... Honestly I feel a little silly not having thought of that! I have yet to install the server (it will take me some time), but will I be able to select a book and load it to my Kindle via this method? Or perhaps send it to my Kindle email?
skidrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
As long as the book is in the correct format, you should be able to load it directly to the device. I'm not sure if you would be able to email from the content server using your e-ink Kindle or not. Email from a Kindle Fire should work.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So I signed up for this online storage site called "Copy", and got 15 GB of free storage. If you sign up using my link, not only will you get 15 GB, but we will both get an additional 5 GB as a bonus!
Got it, You'll have to see if you got the bonus.

Last edited by Edward_R; 10-15-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added Quote
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Calibre Content browsing: I do that all the time. also... I'm a big geek. I set up my home router to redirect a specific port (when accessed from outside, i.e., Starbucks) to the sitting-at-home Calibre server. So I can browse my Calibre library from anyplace with wifi, and grab a book from my Kindle. I have a "book" I load (created in Calibre) that has the links built-in... so I don't even really go to the experimental browser. I open that 'book', and click on the link--which launches the experimental browser for me. laziness at it's finest!
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote