Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
emvh
emvh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
3G web browsing possible in UK?

I own a (international) Kindle 3G/WIFI, bought at Amazon.com (USA). Here in the Netherlands, I am allowed to use Whispernet, but I can't use the 3G web browsing facility. I just had a holiday in the UK, where there should be web browsing possible on the Kindle 3G. Or so I thought. But I got the same message I receive here in the Netherlands: due to local restrictions... etc.

My question: is it possible to use 3G webbrowsing facilities with my Kindle while in a country that does support 3G web browsing? If so...how...?! I know I can use WIFI, but that's not always possible.
emvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It seems to depend what the capabilities are in the country in which your Kindle is registered. My Kindle is registered in the UK and I get full web browsing both at home, and in every other European country I've visited, including the Netherlands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by emvh View Post
My question: is it possible to use 3G webbrowsing facilities with my Kindle while in a country that does support 3G web browsing? If so...how...?! I know I can use WIFI, but that's not always possible.
I have the exact same Kindle type/ registered in Holland etc.
Last March, during the weekend of the Japan earthquake, I most definitely had 3G access everywhere in the Norfolk area of England (I was on the road a lot and kept checking the news websites and my e-mail). I haven't a clue as to why it wouldn't work for you.

Is it possible to use 3G webbrowsing? It should. It worked for me everywhere in Japan last November and in Florida in September. But where else? No clue. For me, it does not work in Holland, Germany and France, at least.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
emvh

Thanks for your answers. I guess it does depend on where the Kindle is registered. Next time I visit another country, I'll try to find a place to stay with WIFI access...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by emvh View Post
Thanks for your answers. I guess it does depend on where the Kindle is registered.
From your post, I assumed you had it registered in the Netherlands, the same as me. Which is why I'm definitely not convinced that it depends on where the device is registered, otherwise why can one device have access in England and the other not?
No clue what it *does* depend on, though. :-(
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
emvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
No clue what it *does* depend on, though. :-(
Neither do I and that bugs me... Both my country setting and my credit card billing address are in the Netherlands, so I understand why I don't have 3G browsing facilities here. But how is it possible that you do have access in the UK and I don't? So...bugging me....