Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes. Completely and absolutely blank.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #17
GuardianZX9
GuardianZX9 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader x 2
Well, sent the2nd replacement back to the dealer and iRex sent me a repair box, so I will have to see what I get back. I will try to post some of the images I took of the unit before I sent it in for repair.

I wonder if they will actually replace the screen ro just send me a refurbished unit.

G
GuardianZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #18
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
When i sent my unit in beacaus of screen issues, they sent me a new unit.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #19
GuardianZX9

I am hopeful, curious, how long did it take to get your replacement unit?

Thanks
G
Old 09-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I've got my iLiad back today. The screen looks amazing! I don't know if my iLiad had lost a lot of contrast in 8 months, had a major screen defect, or if they have started using better screens, but there is very little ghosting, and the contrast is great! I can't imagine anyone complaining about screen quality if it looks like this.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As I've said before, Adam, my screen has zero ghosting. I don't just mean "only a bit" or "barely noticeable", but absolutely zero. It's drastically better than the screen of my Sony Reader.

There does seem to be a wide variation in the "quality" of individual eInk screens, even on the same device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #22
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Mine has very minor ghosting, however it is not visible when reading.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #23
GuardianZX9

Well, I received my replacement unit today, it appears that is the same unit with a new screen, not for sure, but it has the same MAC address as the first unit.

The screen is amazing, much more white than the first, the first units screen was more like my sony reader, more gray than white, this unit looks very much like paper, the contrast is incredible, the black is so dark it looks like sharpie marker on printer paper.

There is almost no ghosting at all anymore, it is so faint that if you are not looking for it you will never see it, it is very easy to read now, no lines between the lines anymore.

I also loaded the new FW and they have made some great changes, glad to see the improvements in wifi conectivity as well as the calibration unit.

Thanks iRex for fixing my unit, it is now much closer to the price I paid for it

Now if we can only get some US newspapers to sign and some way to auto upload RSS feeds via wifi every day then this will be a real contender to standard print and PC reading.

G
Old 09-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #24
Almagne
Enthusiast
Almagne began at the beginning.

Here a few shots of my screen I took today. Irex support had been contacted a few weeks ago and they requested a some pictures. I waited until 2.12 came out in hopes that the new version would help things. As you can see - the ghosting is there. I do expect Irex to replace the screen. The photos are posted to give an example of the ghosting, so that those who are not having this issue can compare.

Update: Irex responded to my photos within a few hours and said it need to be repaired. They are sending a return box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Content Lister [1].JPG
Views:	465
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	5907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Down.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	5908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opening a file.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	5909  

Last edited by Almagne; 09-29-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Almagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #25
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Hmm my Iliad also shows the same ghosting. But approx half the intensity. I am keeping an eye on it. I wait becuase of 2 reasons. I still have plenty warranty time and I may do this same time when the battery is changed to the extra large version.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #26
Almagne
Enthusiast

I have been waiting also for the battery update, and had hoped to do both at the same time. Ultimately, though, it seemed better to send it in well before the warranty in case there are problems. I just hope it does not take too long from Irex to return it.

Last edited by Almagne; 09-29-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #27
GuardianZX9

Thats exactly what my unit was doing prior to being sent back. The replaced/repaired unit suffers from none of this. Any remaining extremely minor ghosting that I see now is mostly due to the screen refresh, once the screen refreshes once its all gone.

The new unit is great compared to your pictures, I highly recommend that you send your unit in for repair. I didnt pay $700+ for a crappy screen.

G
Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #28
Almagne
Enthusiast

An update:

My iLiad went back to Europe and was returned in about a week and a half. Great turn around time! The new screen looks great; only the most faint ghosting is visible.

I did inquire about getting the battery replacement, but they said they were out of stock and would not get more for about 6 weeks. I just had them return it without the new battery.

Almagne
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #29
juancarlosleo
juancarlosleo began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I have had 2 devices of Iliad: boths have degrée his contrast screen.
No creo que sea una casualidad: los 2 Iliad que he tenido, al cabo de 3 meses se han vuelto más y más grises. Yo no creo que tenga 16 grados de grises, creo que es absolutamente falso... de hecho, conforme pasa el tiempo, todo se va volviendo un único y espantoso gris oscuro.
Estoy seguro de que muchos tienen el mismo problema, de hecho el foro de Iliad siempre ha estado lleno de estas quejas.... pero estos artistas se dedican a despistar, mirar pa otro lado, mejorando softwares inútiles, y no atacando el problema principal que tienen, y es que el contraste texto-fondo es pésimo.
Para la gente nueva que asome por aquí para informarse antes de comprar, atención: por aquí hay varios "vendedores" que quieren salvar su producto a toda costa, quitando importancia a este "problemilla", minimizando el asunto, y tal... Pues sabed, que no, que hay gente muy descontenta. Y yo, por supuesto, no vendo nada, no soy de ninguna competencia, sólo un usuario cabreao. Su soporte técnico no funciona. Yo he esperado dos meses a que me contesten para el último problema,.... y ya me he hartao de tanto baile: he decidido tirar esta basura y en compensación voy a machacarles con mala propaganda hasta donde pueda.
Yo perdí 650 euros; ya he disuadido (no tuve más que mostrarles el Iliad) a 4 amigos, y espero que mi testimonio sirva para alguno... especialmente a la comunidad hispanohablante, que yo no me expreso bien en inglés.
juancarlosleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 AM   #30
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Please keep it in English.
Babelfish translation on juancarlosleo's text:
I do not believe that it is a chance: the 2 Iliad that I have had, after 3 months have become more and grayer. I do not believe that she has 16 degrees of grays, I believe that it is absolutely false... in fact, in agreement spends the time, everything is become an only and frightful dark gray. I am sure that many have the same problem, in fact the forum of Iliad always has been full of these complaints.... but these artists dedicate themselves to confuse, to watch pa another side, improving useless softwares, and attacking the main problem that they have, and is not that the resistance text-bottom is terrible. For the new people who show this way to inquire before buying, attention: this way there are several "salesmen" whom they love to save his product at all costs, clearing importance to this "problemilla", diminishing the subject, and so... Then you know, that no, that there is very displeased people. And I, of course, nonWendish nothing, am not of any competition, only a user cabreao. Its technical support does not work. I have waited for two months to that they answer me for the last problem.... and already there am hartao of as much dance: I have decided to throw this sweepings and in compensation I am going to crush to them with bad propaganda to where it can. I lost 650 euros; I have dissuaded (I did not have more to show the Iliad to them) 4 friends, and already hope that my testimony is used for some... specially the Spanish-speaking community, than I I do not express myself well in English.

Last edited by DeGodefroi; 11-30-2007 at 03:22 AM.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote