Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
guruBB
guruBB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Invalid Page

Hey All,

I'm test driving my moms PRS-650 to see if i should buy one for myself. I've loaded the Sony software as well as calibre onto my PC and updated the firmware on the device. I've tried loading a couple of non-drm epub's onto the reader, all which can be opened without any issues in calibre and sony's reader library, and every one of them is giving the 'Invalid Page' error on the screen when i try to open the book on the reader.

I've deleted the media.xml to have the reader regenerate the cache as mentioned in another thread.

One example of an epub im trying to load is here http://www.epubbooks.com/book/568/purloined-letter

What am i missing? How can I fix this?

Thanks
- guruBB
guruBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not sure I'm going to be any help to you, but I downloaded this epub and loaded on my PRS650. It opens with no problems at all so I don't think there is any problem with the file.

Have you tried doing a full device shutdown, then reboot?

Or even the Format Memory option - this one will probably make you unpopular with your mother, though.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Did you delete anything else, besides media.xml?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
guruBB

@jackie - I can try doing a soft restart - but it did restart while it was updating the firmware and still gave the same issue before and after. As for formatting, is there a way to back up the books that were purchased that are loaded on there so i dont have to repurchase them?

@kartu - no, the other post i was looking at just specified media.xml.. is there something else that i should be removing in addition to media.xml?

Thanks,
- guruBB
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i go invlaid page when overwitring edited books without deleting them 1st. book & bookmarks maybe get confused.

suggest use calibre to manage the sony content. 1. connect & remove books va calibre - disconnect & check all is well. reconnect & asdd book, disconnect & test again.

don't have both calibre & sony library software running at same time - that can cause problems.

you can backup all books while connected to a PC - it' just a portable drive in Windows so copy all files in sony reader document folder to your PC to backup.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Normally, once you have purchased books, there should be no problem in re=downloading them from the supplying site without further charge provided you don't change you authorisation ID as well as doing what cybermole suggests...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruBB View Post
As for formatting, is there a way to back up the books that were purchased that are loaded on there so i dont have to repurchase them?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you will get "page error" if you exceed the 260k file segment size. I had that just now after loading an edited book onto Sony PRS650 & had to google the error message to realise what I'd done wrong.

rerun any problem book thru a calibre epub to epub convert so that it gets re-split.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
guruBB

Thanks for your assistant guys..

I ended up backing up the books that were on there, formatting the device, re-downloading the book from its source that was originally giving me errors.. copied it over using calibre only.. i didnt let the sony software touch it.. and all seems to be working without any issues..

Thanks,
- guruBB

Tags
invalid page, non-drm epub, sony prs-650