Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Techonology is the best overall?
Reflective LCD 21 26.92%
E-Ink 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
arsingh1
Nameless Being

Smile Reflective lcd's vs e-ink

Hi,
Some people claim that Reflective LCD devices such as Aluratek Libre pro & Ectaco jetbook are at par with the e- ink based ones.

Please discuss which technology is better of the two, in terms of strain caused on eyes & page turning capability.
THanks
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
I have the Alurtek Libre pro and love the reflective lcd screen it clear bright and easy to read and I have less eye strain than if I was reading a new paper back book its great with none of the e ink screen WOW or flash as you quickly turn the pages. If there is a short coming with reflective lcd is it battery life isn't as good as the e ink screens best Ive had with the libre is 12 hours (or a average week of reading for me). But for me the compact take everywhere size and excellent screen and drm'd books support makes libre a great deal and a steal at $159 to $169 you usually find the libre on sale.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
arsingh1
Nameless Being

ok it means that the only negative point of reflective lcd technology is the battery life .
So, what about reading in bright sunlight and low lit indoors.
Which technology scores over here?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thumbs up

Ok my experiences with reading in bright direct sunlight is excellent and in dimmer light with its reflective lcd screen I can usually tilt the screen in the direction of the light source and have a decent reading experience (i.e at night in bed with a night stand lamp for lighting) . If let's say I was going camping or read at night out doors on the beach, a battery/ rechargeable clip on reading light work well and with the jetbook or Libre's reflective screen you could get by with a less powerful light.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I have the JBL and I can get by very good with reflected light. Even when I'm out at night waiting for the bus the streetlights are very good for reading. Normally, I'd have to bring a headlamp or something. The batteries seem to last about a week to ten days, depending how often I pick up. One of my fav thiings is that I don't get that glare and light bouncing off the screen. It can be blinding.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
decent

I have a EB1150 which has a LCD screen and really I never noted eye strain with it. Though I do admit that my newer e-ink screen devices have a much crisper look to the text.

I do realize that some people seem more sensitive to the LCD screens causing eye strain, so it may not be for you.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Jetbook and Jetbook lite both do very well no matter what light you in. From full sun to a tiny led reading light. They remain clear, crisp, and easy to read with little to no eyestrain.

While they may use more battery power, what they don't do is "flash" with every page turn. Also page turns are considerably faster than what I've seen on E-ink.

I actually read comfortably with less light with the Jetbook than I used to need with paper books. Seems the paper tended to absorb and disperse light. While Reflective TFT screen sends it back to your eyes.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have a Jetbook along with the Kindle and the Jetbook suffers from poorer contrast. I find it difficult to read from unless I have bright indirect light. However, I have bad eyes your experience may differ.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
.rob.
gatherer of werdz
.rob. began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook
jB: 'practically perfect in every way'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Jetbook and Jetbook lite ...
While they may use more battery power, what they don't do is "flash" with every page turn. Also page turns are considerably faster than what I've seen on E-ink.

I actually read comfortably with less light with the Jetbook than I used to need with paper books. Seems the paper tended to absorb and disperse light. While Reflective TFT screen sends it back to your eyes.

GH, I hear what you mean exactly! Couldn't agree more. The 'flashing' I've seen with the Sony and Kindle Monsters is more distracting and annoying than not being able to have a dozen books in your pocket, not to mention the 'artifacts' left on the screen (that their user manuals actually warn of!)

And yes, I've found myself reading in all sorts of illumination situations that a paperBook wouldn't have 'allowed'. (eg, halfmoon-light, glaring sunlight directly over head, the light from my clock/radio).

...and how 'bout that size, man? Smaller than a trade paperback... !speaks for itself!
.rob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by .rob. View Post
GH, I hear what you mean exactly! Couldn't agree more. The 'flashing' I've seen with the Sony and Kindle Monsters is more distracting and annoying than not being able to have a dozen books in your pocket, not to mention the 'artifacts' left on the screen (that their user manuals actually warn of!)
Newer revisions of the Kindle firmware don't leave as many artifacts (ghosting) but the pages still flash. The flash is get rid of the ghosting. With my bad eyes I don't find the flash annoying but it's a personal preference and I understand that your preferences are different.

I'm happy that there are many different products available to read ebooks so that everyone should find one that they prefer.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
bob1xxx
Zealot

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I have a Jetbook along with the Kindle and the Jetbook suffers from poorer contrast. I find it difficult to read from unless I have bright indirect light. However, I have bad eyes your experience may differ.
Yes I'd agree that any of the smaller e book readers 5 to 6 inch (lcd or e ink) would be only so so experience. If your eye site is poor the larger 9" screen on a kindle dx or other large screen e reader would better support larger font sizes, but for most folks with good or average vision with glasses i.e. me the reflective lcd screen of Libre gives me a superior reading experience over e ink.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Don't forget device software and rendering...just as important in this choice.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I personally think that if they're not on a par - they're very close.

Page flips are faster, but battery life is shorter. It's a trade off. They're certainly fairly easy on the eyes.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Not all LCD screens are the same.

An LCD screen on your watch vs. the average on someone has on their computer are quite different.

My ebookwise 1150 has a backlit LCD. I can read all day on the thing without any more "strain" than I get reading a normal book - plus I can read it it lower and lower light down to complete darkness. I also get ~15 hours battery life and it charges completely in ~1.5 hours.

As mentioned above, brightness and contrast make a big difference. If either is too great (relative to self or the lighting you're in), you can get eye strain.

Similarly, you get eystrain if the frequency at which your monitor/screen refreshes is that which you'll notice. On my old CRT's, I noticed 'flicker' at anything below 85hz, though I could live with 75Hz (I think I have the units right). Under flourescent lighting, if memory serves, I needed 85Hz at least, or I really noticed the flicker. I could walk down the hall at work and notice instantly which people were using a lower refresh rate (i.e., left it at a lower default) instead of setting it to something other than the default 60Hz.

On LCDs used for computers, I believe the lowest refresh was 60Hz, but many are 120 now, though I could easily be wrong there. An LCD refreshes differently than a CRT, and a lower refresh rate is, for me at least, acceptable. My 60Hz monitor doesn't bother me refresh-wise at all.

All these factors combine...refresh, brightness, and contrast...to enhance (or ruin) your viewing and reading pleasure. Different people are more sensitive to these factors. This e-ink vs. lcd vs. whatever drives me a bit nuts.

My ebookwise 1150 screen is nothing like the LCD's most refer to when they talk about eyestrain, yet it gets lumped in with them. Be specific when you complain about a tech (though I don't know what language you'd use to distinguish between the dif. LCD techs in a quick, simple, and clear way). And perhaps use it before you slam it.

I'm one of those folks who, while I enjoy the crispness and contrast of e-ink, could not accept and live with the page-change 'flicker' as it drives me nuts. Similarly, it is the back-lit nature of the primitive LCD in the ebookwise that makes it even more useful for me in a wider variety of situations, and makes an e-ink device less useful. I don't always have or want to use a secondary light source to read.

All these different screens have strengths and weaknesses. Could I read on the bright lcd screen of the ipad? I suspect it wouldn't be a problem as you can adjust the brightness and contrast within the iBook software. Like I said above - this may let you get brightness/contrast/(refresh) that works for your vision or not - but simply saying it's not for you because it is an LCD screen is failing to recognize the factors involved and the possible range of settings permitted. It does a disservice to those investigating such devices and comparing them to e-ink, while not actually educating them and allowing them to make the best choice for them.

(and to disclose where I'm coming from - I'm not getting an iPad because a)I want longer battery life on my reader and b)I want an open device not tied to one vendor - but I do want to replace my ebookwise with a technologically more advanced device. I'm hoping the Adam will do what I want/need, as it sounds like it'll provide me with the nearest thing to colour e-ink, without the refresh, and with backlighting as an option)
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
And I missed the "reflective" part of the topic - my bad! sorry!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote