Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
A puzzling thing about the system clock

Something weird I've noticed with the Reading Awards system: although I live and operate my KT in eastern Australia, and have the system set to local time, the Awards still seem to be operating on a North American timezone. For instance, the other night I got the "Night Rider" award, telling me that I had just read all night. But in eastern Australia it was only just after midnight, so that made no sense. (It was, however, after dawn in North America. Is that what triggered it?) And a similar thing has happened with the "Rush Hour" award, which kicked in at a time that made no sense, if judged by the clock set to Australian time, but matched "rush hour" in Northern America.

So I'm wondering if the Time setting actually changes the time in the hardware, or if it's only a cosmetic thing for the display. I have no idea if this sort of thing happened in previous versions of firmware — I've never bothered with the Awards before this update to 2.0.0, and only gave it a go this time out of curiosity. (Does it actually have any value other than for novelty? Similarly, I couldn't care less about the Facebook links and all that stuff.)

No worries, though. It's not a problem, as such; I just think it's a bit strange.

Anyone else noticed anything similar?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Internally, the time is based on UTC (Greenwich).

The Timezone setting is what makes the time 'local'.

It's possible that the reading awards isn't paying any attention to the timezone setting, and is hardcoded to a Canadian timezone.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that's what I said, isn't it?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Terseness!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
murg
No Comment

The time setting does change the system clock. The Freescale processor has a real-time clock.

The gotcha is that you must set the timezone before the time, otherwise the time will shift to reflect the new timezone.
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Terseness!
No mate, just wondering what you're trying to say. Whether the underlying setting is based on Canadian time or GMT or even Sidereal time, doesn't change the situation of the function not actually responding to the user's time setting in the interface.