Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
markeb
markeb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Reverse Direction on Kindle Translation Dictionary

Need a German dictionary for Kindle. Unfortunately they only work one-way:German to English. I am trying to hack the dictionary to make it translate in other direction. Am I wasting my time? Here's what I have tried so far.

1. I purchased the Pocket Oxford German Dictionary from Kindle site.
2. I downloaded it to my computer.
3. I de-DRMed to produced a .mobi file which i edited in hex editor.
5. I reversed the codes for the dictionary input language and output language based on the mobi header description that I found at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI.
6. Deleted my original German Dictionary on the Kindle.
7. Uploaded the modified Mobi version (through Amazon) and assigned it as my default dictionary.
markeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
And what does it do now? Nothing, or just German-English
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
markeb
markeb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Previous post was a typo. Amazon dictionary only works English to German. I want German to English.

In any event, I finally got it working German to English. It turns out these translation dictionaries come in 2 parts. One for each direction. Amazon sold me a single one-way dictionary. I had to purchase the 2 part dictionary from Mobipocket.com.

For some reason, to get it to work on a kindle, you still have to modify the codes, to get it to work as the default dictionary. As desribed in the post I refered to earlier. So I modified this and it now works. German to English.

Last edited by markeb; 03-12-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
markeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I know that it's been almost a year since you've asked, but here's Kindle German Dictionary that was just recently published on Amazon. It does exactly that - translates from German to English.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
Elleo
Elleo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G)
I made a bunch of translation dictionaries out of TinyLex's dictionary files, including very good German -> English and English -> German dictionaries, you can grab copies of them here:

http://blog.mikeasoft.com/2011/01/05...or-the-kindle/
Elleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
dictionaries, kinde