Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
BlackRat
BlackRat began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T3/iLiad/Nokia 6021
"Dead" iLiad

Hi.
I have "dead" iLiad. When I try to switch it on I can see only green led. No images...
How can I access to the file system. Do I need special cable and/or software?
The iRex techsupport price is very high (350Euro).
BlackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Is the led on solid, or blinking? Did u try to plug it in to recharge? Did u connect it to the computer to see if u can see the internals?
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Mike Kostousov
Connoisseur
Mike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-books

Device: Zaurus C1000/iLiad/SE K750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRat
Hi.
I have "dead" iLiad. When I try to switch it on I can see only green led. No images...
How can I access to the file system. Do I need special cable and/or software?
How did you get that? I have same problem... But I have access to internal storage via usb.
Mike Kostousov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
BlackRat

Now I can see green led only when I press "ON". At the same time my computer shows me "Unknown USB device". It immediatly goes off when I release switch.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
BlackRat

The led is solid.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
Silly question - have you reset the device with the recessed switch on the back? Also is the device charged?
Have you installed anything on the device other than content? Another silly question - I assume you haven't damaged the device - was there an event after which it stopped working?
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
BlackRat

Reset... Many times. Device is charged. There was only iLiad software on the device and few docs. I didn't damage device (650Euro - it's expensive to me).
Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
BlackRat

When I press ЭЩТЭ for a long tome (10 sec) my computer shows me "Unknown USB device". May be I need special drivers for it (to access files)?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
BlackRat

When I press "ON"...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Hi everybody,

I have been reading MR forum for quite some time, and am considering buying the Iliad. However, so many hardware problems and bad technical support have stopped me from buying it so far.

Especially when I read something like

Quote:
makes me quiet worried. What do you mean by this BlackRat, your device is under warranty for one year and your repair should be free, or am I missing something here?!
If you have bricked Iliad it should be something like 70 EUR for repair.

I think the primary worry for anybody buying the Iliad should be the display damages (failures). We have seen many of these failures, and I think many of them are not from the pressure applied to them, but are due to some inherent problem with the displays. The problem is that iRex will not admit to this, and you will be forced to pay for the display replacement, even if you have done nothing to break it. Not to mention all the problems with battery (not) charging, noise problem recalls, non-booting Iliads and so on.

But even with all this I will probably be buying it in the end for one simple reason, it’s the only device out there (at least in Europe).

Bojan.

Last edited by bojan; 01-16-2007 at 12:28 PM.
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

i have had a device replaced for free which had a defective display, so i disagree that their support is bad, it depends on the circumstances under which it happened i suspect.
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan
The problem is that iRex will not admit to this, and you will be forced to pay for the display replacement, even if you have done nothing to break it. Not to mention all the problems with battery (not) charging, noise problem recalls, non-booting Iliads and so on.
The problem is more there's a lot of misinformation out there... And that people who have experienced defective displays and other manufacturing problems are very much in the minority...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I agree, and hope that people with these problems are really in minority. It’s just that that when you have a problem with the display (not just eInk) it comes down to arguing with the manufacturer over whose fault it is.

Regarding the support, I don’t have any personal experience (and hope I will not have to, when I receive mine ), it’s just that I seam to remember a lot of repaired DOA units, and people waiting for months to get their units back. I also can’t understand how can it take 3 weeks to get your ordered new unit shipped from one part of Europe to other?
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
True, but that was in the very beginning, they do seem to have things under better control now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote