Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Can the IdeaPad be charged using USB port?

I've tried to get info or charging the S2109 IdeaPad in the Android Users Forum but beyond the FAQ that says "most Android tablets can't be charged from the USB port" I get no response. "Most" clearly leaves some wiggle room, and I noticed that when I have my IdeaPad plugged into a USB port it at least says it's charging (although it can't be very cast because even leaving it for an hour or some doesn't change the charge level very much).

So what's the deal on charging these? Are you stuck with the 5V 2.5 Amps charger with the round plug, or can you use any of the USB wall chargers out there, and if so which ones? How about some converter from a wall charge USB to the round plug. Still 5V but lower amps.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
freewheeling
Nameless Being

It's really hard to get an answer to this question for some reason. I get nothing over on the Android forum either. Strange.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
I've tried to get info or charging the S2109 IdeaPad in the Android Users Forum but beyond the FAQ that says "most Android tablets can't be charged from the USB port" I get no response. "Most" clearly leaves some wiggle room, and I noticed that when I have my IdeaPad plugged into a USB port it at least says it's charging (although it can't be very cast because even leaving it for an hour or some doesn't change the charge level very much).

So what's the deal on charging these? Are you stuck with the 5V 2.5 Amps charger with the round plug, or can you use any of the USB wall chargers out there, and if so which ones? How about some converter from a wall charge USB to the round plug. Still 5V but lower amps.
I don't have an IdeaPad, but FWIW I regularly charge my Nook Tablet and Nexus 7 (as I also do with my other handheld electronics) from a powered-USB Hub (which is connected to my PC), which takes a lot longer than when I use the NT/N7 original USB wall-chargers (5V/2A) -- a a full charge overnight vs. a full charge in a few hours.

If you're looking for USB wall-charger you might want to give these 5V/2A chargers a try.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I don't have an IdeaPad, but FWIW I regularly charge my Nook Tablet and Nexus 7 (as I also do with my other handheld electronics) from a powered-USB Hub (which is connected to my PC), which takes a lot longer than when I use the NT/N7 original USB wall-chargers (5V/2A) -- a a full charge overnight vs. a full charge in a few hours.

If you're looking for USB wall-charger you might want to give these 5V/2A chargers a try.
Thanks. Not unless someone who's tried it can advise. I tried a 1 Amp usb wall charger plugged into the micro usb port on the tablet and it got very hot so I pulled the plug. The Kindle Fire HD charges from a 2 Amp wall charger, I know. (The fast charger they sell for it is 1.8 Amps so assume 2 Amps would be safe.) But I can't get a straight answer on the Lenovo devices for some reason. And it's not in their documentation, either.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
It looks like the S2109 can only be charged via the DC jack, which seems completely backwards considering it has a micro USB port and micro USB is fast becoming the standard charging port for such portable devices.

http://tabtimes.com/review/ittech-ma...d-41-ice-cream

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Lenovo charges via a separate AC power port, rather than USB, so you'll have to add another power adapter to your bag.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
It looks like the S2109 can only be charged via the DC jack, which seems completely backwards considering it has a micro USB port and micro USB is fast becoming the standard charging port for such portable devices.

http://tabtimes.com/review/ittech-ma...d-41-ice-cream
Well, that explains why no one would answer that question over on the Lenovo Android site. If I'd known that I'd have probably got something else. As it is, I also seem to have a problem with the screen sensitivity. If you leave your finger an instant too long trying to select text it starts opening a bunch of apps and doing other stuff I never intended. Happens ALL the time. I probably should have bit the bullet and got an iPad. Text selection in general is not handled at all well on the Android.

I wonder if I could use an adapter plug that goes from USB to the pin size used on the charging port? Same voltage but lower amps so it should work, just take more time. Or perhaps I could pair the USB to Pin adapter cord with a fast charging 2amp wall charger? Lower amperage should be safe.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
freewheeling
Nameless Being

I also notice, however, that the charging icon and light comes on when the device is plugged into a USB port. That's sorta strange if it's not actually charging.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Just thought I'd update my own thread. The Lenovo IdeaPad S2109 will charge using the little Kindle charger, but it heats up quite a bit (the charger, I mean, not the Kindle). And the experience I have using a 5V charger with slightly higher amperage (1 amp as opposed to 0.8 amps) is that the IdeaPad gets hot, so apparently something is "odd" about the way the Lenovo gets charged through the micro USB port, and it's not just the amperage of the charger. Time for an engineer to weigh in, I guess?

The regular charger puts out 5V at 2.5 amps, or way more than either of the USB wall chargers I used.