Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
em-dashes in mobi

My em-dashes are showing as an N with a squiggle on top in Mobi...not good. Why would this be? Also an accented e (as in fiance and cafe) is appearing as a Z with caret top, and curly (smart) quotes are being replaced with an accented O! I think it may have something to do with the original Mac doc...probably a nuclear purge is in order, yes?

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
That sounds like a file encoding issue. If you started with a Mac doc, it's probably in Mac-Roman, and you should see if you can get it to change to UTF-8 before you feed it into whatever converter you're using.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
That sounds like a file encoding issue. If you started with a Mac doc, it's probably in Mac-Roman, and you should see if you can get it to change to UTF-8 before you feed it into whatever converter you're using.
Thanks, I didn't do a nuclear purge on this doc...I should have! I haven't had this issue with anything that I've scanned/OCR/converted to a Word doc...so I'm sure you're right.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
...you should see if you can get it to change to UTF-8 before you feed it into whatever converter you're using.
Or, if your converter has the function, manually tell the converter what the source document's encoding is.

Calibre has a control for just this purpose. It lives on the "Look & Feel" tab in the Convert dialog.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind

Thanks!!! This is so helpful. I'll try the Look & Feel menu in Calibre!

Tags
curly quotes, em-dash, html, smart tages