Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
winterescape
Enthusiast
winterescape began at the beginning.

Device: none
WSJ (FREE) recipe improvement to allow full text of all stories

*****Please see fourth post****
I Just discovered calibre (and made a donation) this looks like a fantastic companion to my wife’s new e-reader. On the news feeds, I have it setup to download and e-mail the newspaper to the e-reader.

I noticed that many of the articles are cut off. They end with … and then the next article starts. When opened within Caliber it is the same way as on the reader so it is not happening when it gets e-mailed to the reader.

I noticed it in the "marketplace" section of the WSJ.

I read the faq and did not see anything.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by winterescape; 01-30-2011 at 08:49 AM.
winterescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need a subscription to wall street journal to get full articles from it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
winterescape
Enthusiast

hmm O.K. Thanks, I will look into that...
Old 01-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
winterescape
Enthusiast

O.K. So I read today about this and I now see the stories that are locked for subscription on the wsj site. I did find this link describing how to retrieve the full story from google without a subscription. I looked at the recipe for the wsj and this looks like it might be feasible to modify it to retrieve the text of the stories from google. Any help or suggestions ?

Would anyone know of a way to modify the recipe to retrieve the story content using the google link?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post
Would anyone know of a way to modify the recipe to retrieve the story content using the google link?
I'm moving this to the Recipe sub-forum so it can get the proper attention from folks who deal with recipes.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
winterescape
Enthusiast

O.K. So the change I would see to the recipe to get this working is :
1) For most stories nothing changes in the script
2) when a “key” is included with the story the script places the headline into google and retrieves the full story