Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
Paperclip
Paperclip began at the beginning.

Device: none
e-reader for the academic

I'm in grad school and get assigned a lot of reading from databases like JSTOR and PDFs that are posted on Blackboard. Given the price of ink and the amount I'm assigned to read, I'm buying an e-reader.

Any recs? (I study rhetoric, which will be primarily words, however, I do have some visual rhetoric articles as well.) What would be the least hassle for my reading purposes? I want this to make school easier.

Thanks in advance!
Paperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Well, you could try checking out these models: Pocketbook 902, Pocketbook 903, KindleDX, Sony PRS-900, Sony PRS-950, Entourage Edge and the iPad. I read PDFs (of journal articles and academic books) on my Sony PRS-505, which has a 6 inch screen, but I myself would like something larger for my PDFs and I am considering the models that I have mentioned in this post. Do you need / want a touchscreen, markup ability?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Well, you could try checking out these models: Pocketbook 902, Pocketbook 903, KindleDX, Sony PRS-900, Sony PRS-950, ...
Agree. Bigger is better.
Except that i wouldn't consider PRS-900 now that PRS-950 is coming.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Agree. Bigger is better.
Except that i wouldn't consider PRS-900 now that PRS-950 is coming.
True, I'm leaning towards the 950 myself. However, Paperclip might need something right away, and the PRS-900 can be picked up at a reduced price, so I thought I'd mention it.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
I'm in a similar position, but while I use my Nook for some pdfs, I'm waiting for a decent tablet to hit the market. My wife has an iPad, and I'm really not impressed with it--it's too crippled for academic work. I'm waiting for a tablet that has a decent browser, that can use the full version of Google Docs, and that can handle multitasking. Sure, it won't get the battery life of the iPad, but what good is a long-life battery if you can't do much useful work with the gadget it powers? A lot of tablets should hit the market in the next 6-8 months. I'd advise waiting. If you must have something now, the iPad is probably the best bet, warts and all, because it does handle pdfs well, and the zoom is nice.
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Phx View Post
I'm in a similar position, but while I use my Nook for some pdfs, I'm waiting for a decent tablet to hit the market. My wife has an iPad, and I'm really not impressed with it--it's too crippled for academic work. I'm waiting for a tablet that has a decent browser, that can use the full version of Google Docs, and that can handle multitasking. Sure, it won't get the battery life of the iPad, but what good is a long-life battery if you can't do much useful work with the gadget it powers? A lot of tablets should hit the market in the next 6-8 months. I'd advise waiting. If you must have something now, the iPad is probably the best bet, warts and all, because it does handle pdfs well, and the zoom is nice.
Have you had a chance to see how the iPad handles bookmarks in PDFs by any chance? I agree with your point about the battery life. As it is, I can't see myself carrying around a tablet with me, and imagine that I would use it the most at home.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Phx View Post
The new Archos 101 Tablet (10.1 screen, $300, Android 2.2) should be a great ipad alternative.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
I asked the same question here about three months ago.

I bought the Entourage Edge and would sincerely recommend it to anyone who wants a good reader with a large screen for his or her research. It allows you to annotate (freehand), draw, to add notes to your PDF, highlight. You can write notes separatly from a pdf file, since there is an app called Journal. You can add as many notebooks as you wish. There is an option for attaching an external keyboard. You can also do some light Office editing.

The best thing is that when you annotate or highlight a word, the Edge automatically adds a bookmark with the name of the highlighted word/phrase, so that you can find/edit it very easily.

It has tons of very useful apps and gets improved with every firmware update. You can check out the videos on their webpage, just to get an impression of what this little device can do. I hardly mantioned its features, since it's more like a combination of a netbook and a ereader. It can do pretty much everything these two devices can do.

On the other hand, you can freely surf the web, Wikipedia or whatever you like, since it comes with WiFi, browser, mail application etc. I'm typing this on my Edge . You should have in mind, however, that its weight is about 3 lbs (like a netbook).
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Slingsby
Slingsby began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I can read PDFs from JSTOR on the Kindle 3 without trouble. To get big print, I change the orientation of the page -- I read then with the buttons on the right-hand side. It only displays 1/3 of a page at a time, but with academic articles (because they are not so many pages?) I don't have the very slow page turning that I have with 360-page Google book PDFs.
Slingsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Have you had a chance to see how the iPad handles bookmarks in PDFs by any chance? I agree with your point about the battery life. As it is, I can't see myself carrying around a tablet with me, and imagine that I would use it the most at home.
No, I haven't. Sorry I can't help you there. Maybe ask on the Apple forum.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The new Archos 101 Tablet (10.1 screen, $300, Android 2.2) should be a great ipad alternative.
I also just saw on CNET that Toshiba just introduced the Folio 100, which looks interesting. It has a 10.1" screen, USB ports, runs Android, comes in Wifi and 3G versions... No word on multitasking, but it looks like a better option than the iPad, and for about the same price. Not available here yet, but should launch in Europe in a couple months.

And Noah--I'm going to look at the Archos 101 right now--thanks for the recommendation!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
Paperclip
Paperclip began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, guys!
Paperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I just saw a post from an Aussie user of a K3 who said she was liking the PDF readability on her K3. She mentioned highlighting in her post. It sounds like the K3 PDF functionality is greatly improved. Hopefully someone else who has used the PDF's on the K3 or the DX will give you an update.

hmmm maybe I should get around to using the PDF feature on my DXG
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Asus is going to make a tablet with an lcd screen that might fit your needs.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
I asked the same question here about three months ago.

I bought the Entourage Edge and would sincerely recommend it to anyone who wants a good reader with a large screen for his or her research. It allows you to annotate (freehand), draw, to add notes to your PDF, highlight. You can write notes separatly from a pdf file, since there is an app called Journal. You can add as many notebooks as you wish. There is an option for attaching an external keyboard. You can also do some light Office editing.

The best thing is that when you annotate or highlight a word, the Edge automatically adds a bookmark with the name of the highlighted word/phrase, so that you can find/edit it very easily.

It has tons of very useful apps and gets improved with every firmware update. You can check out the videos on their webpage, just to get an impression of what this little device can do. I hardly mantioned its features, since it's more like a combination of a netbook and a ereader. It can do pretty much everything these two devices can do.

On the other hand, you can freely surf the web, Wikipedia or whatever you like, since it comes with WiFi, browser, mail application etc. I'm typing this on my Edge . You should have in mind, however, that its weight is about 3 lbs (like a netbook).
The Entourage is great great LCD talblet and eink display, I too highly recommend it to any student.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote