Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Metadata Comments Field - How to best tweak the html?

Greetings,

I've been enjoying tweaking my books in Sigil and getting them close to perfect for the way I read. I've learned heaps in the sort time I've had my Kobo Glo.

However, one thing I have trouble with is the metadata comment area of Calibre. I insert a "Synopsis: Blurb" and a "About Author blurb."

Sometimes the "Details" screen of my Kobo Glo shows it as I expect, other-times the text is way too small. There is also not a space between the heading like I expect...

I have tried removing the formatting, changing the style etc. I usually dump all the text in notepad to remove all the formatting before re-inserting. I still haven't spotted the correct sequence to get it right. Often the heading is way to small and the blurb is correct, then it is the reverse on the next book. (Yet it all looks right in Calibre?)

Also, I can't find this info in Sigil using the Metadata editor. Should it be their (Yes...I update the epub metadata file with the Modify Epub plugin first). Lots of other info is there.

Can Sigil tweak this info. What controls the html output of the metadata? Or is this all done it calibre - like do I have to manually code all the html source view?

Appreciate the help.
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Metadata in the OPF file is not user styled. That is dependent on the device that displays 'Info' about the title. This is what the Metadata edit function in Sigil sets.

Metadata INSIDE the Jacket, is controlled by the styles assigned to the jacket text (location and names varies by jacket source)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Metadata in the OPF file is not user styled. That is dependent on the device that displays 'Info' about the title. This is what the Metadata edit function in Sigil sets.

Metadata INSIDE the Jacket, is controlled by the styles assigned to the jacket text (location and names varies by jacket source)
Thx theducks - that has helped a little. I'm still not sure what I'm looking at inside the metadata editor of sigil. Seems you can't do anything in there except add some fields etc, but NOT edit the existing ones?? NO...it would seem you can edit the fields but the description field is a tricky to to capture!

Also, I've been using ModifyEpub plugin to update the metadata, but the existing jacket wasn't updated. Seems I have to use the "Add/Replace Metadata Jacket" in that plugin as well. So what does just the "Update Metadata" check box do VS the "Add/Replace Metadata Jacket"??

The "Add/Replace Metadata Jacket" seems to have added an extra page called "jacket.xhtml". What is the purpose of this file? Does it just add the metadata as a page in the ebook?

Last thing...can you add html tags to the metadata comments field that points to the stylesheet.css in the ebook (like a header)??

I'm getting there, so really appreciate the help
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
When I see the comment formatted in a tiny font, I fix it in the HTML view of the comments in the metadata editor. Usually, there are fonts tags wrapping all or part of the the text. I strip anything with leaving paragraph tags, italics and bold plus maybe headings. These will display well on the details page of the Glo.

If the books is already on the Glo, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to update the database on the device. Otherwise, you have to delete the book from the device and resend it.

I can't help with the jackets as I don't use them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When I see the comment formatted in a tiny font, I fix it in the HTML view of the comments in the metadata editor. Usually, there are fonts tags wrapping all or part of the the text. I strip anything with leaving paragraph tags, italics and bold plus maybe headings. These will display well on the details page of the Glo.

If the books is already on the Glo, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to update the database on the device. Otherwise, you have to delete the book from the device and resend it.

I can't help with the jackets as I don't use them.
Thx...I'll give that a go.

I'm not sure I use jackets either (Not in the Book itself). But isn't the jacket where the metadata is stored? Or does the metadata that does show on the Kobo be stored elsewhere?

I've got KoboUtils (great plugin BTW), but I haven't used it much yet
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Thx...I'll give that a go.

I'm not sure I use jackets either (Not in the Book itself). But isn't the jacket where the metadata is stored? Or does the metadata that does show on the Kobo be stored elsewhere?
I just reread the post. I realised got to the mention of jackets and barely read the rest of it

A jacket is an extra page added just after the cover. It has all the metadata on it. I think of it as a replacement for the back cover of a paperback plus some of the copyright page. It would be handy if the device has no way to display this, or you want to see it when you open the book. If you use Modify ePub to add a jacket, you need to read the book to see it.

Quote:
I've got KoboUtils (great plugin BTW), but I haven't used it much yet
When you do use it, don't forget to tell me if you find any problems or want something added. I don't promise to add it, but I'm open to ideas.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote