Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Skrpo1
Skrpo1 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
Skipping First Chapter in TOC

I usually create epubs through Calibre starting out as a .docx file with my chapter headings as H1 or H2 keeping it simple depending on the length of the story and if I add several stories together. My title I will keep as Normal.

Whenever I bring the file into Calibre for conversion, I will set up a Forced generated TOC and check Heuristic process. I will leave the rest alone. After conversion, Calibre, at times, does not detect the first chapter, listing it in the TOC. I haven't figured this out and would appreciate any feedback.

This also did the same thing when I would convert the file to a filtered Html. I now just keep it as a .docx file using the .docx plugin.
Skrpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you save as filtered HTML, load that into a text editor and have a look at the first and second chapter header. If the first one is incorrect, just edit it to be correct.

After you have made the ePub, I suggest loading it into Sigil and having a look at the code. It could be rather messy as Word output is not always that clean. You need to check all the CSS code and see if anything is there that could possibly cause a problem like the text being set to a specific color, font sizes set in px and other things. Also, check the ePub with FlightCrew and make sure it validates. If it validates with FlightCrew, run it through epubcheck 3.0 and see if it still validates. If so, it's structurally sound. The next thing to do is check how it looks in ADE (Adobe Digital Editions). If it looks OK, it's ready to go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert