Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Joanneke
Joanneke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Nook not recognised

Hi there,

I just bought a Nook STR, downloaded Calibre and tried to start building up a nice digital library. However, I can't get my older version of Calibre (0.7.28) to recognise my new Nook. Updating Calibre isn't an option, since my Macbook is too old for this (10.4). Is there a solution for this?

Also, Calibre refuses to open the books I downloaded for free, because they are DRM-protected. Shouldn't I be able to read free, old books in any programm? How do I fix this?

Thanks for helping me!

Greetings from rainy Holland,

Joanneke
Joanneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanneke View Post
Hi there,

I just bought a Nook STR, downloaded Calibre and tried to start building up a nice digital library. However, I can't get my older version of Calibre (0.7.28) to recognise my new Nook. Updating Calibre isn't an option, since my Macbook is too old for this (10.4). Is there a solution for this?

Also, Calibre refuses to open the books I downloaded for free, because they are DRM-protected. Shouldn't I be able to read free, old books in any programm? How do I fix this?

Thanks for helping me!

Greetings from rainy Holland,

Joanneke
Free does not mean Not DRM infested.

If the Nook can show as a disk drive , use save to disk (the Nook).
All you lose is Calibre Device features like 'On Device', auto selecting the best format to read.

You might try setting 'Connect to folder' (again, the Nook) and see how that plays

Last edited by theducks; 08-11-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Joanneke
Joanneke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Thanks

Hi Theducks,

Thanks for this (simple) suggestion. Works for me!
Joanneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanneke View Post
Hi Theducks,

Thanks for this (simple) suggestion. Works for me!
It is a pain when outboard systems and software out step each other

My last 2 new Laptops (7 year spread) have dropped connectivity options that I previously used.
I bought a PCMCIA COM1: adapter to make up (this was a MSDOS machine, where USB converters don't fly) for the loss of the COM port .
I also had a PCMCIA SCSI card for my Scanner and Zip drive (remember those )

The latest laptop has no: PCMCIA, COM#:, SCSI, LPT#: (it gained ports I don't need yet)

At least you can use your Nook. Unfortunately, you are missing out on some really newer Calibre features.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote