Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
nookanswers
nookanswers began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'll answer questions about the nook color!

Ask away! I know more than most.
nookanswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
okay

if I droped a nookcolour from 10 floors up... how far will it bounce?
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Is it going to be as easier to hack as the original nook?
Can I put kindle app in it and buy cheaper books from Amazon?
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, nookanswers.

Really?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
How is it holding it with one hand?
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
okay

if I droped a nookcolour from 10 floors up... how far will it bounce?
I would say it would bounce maybe as far as if you were dropped from that height.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
The better question is:

Why do you feel you know more than most and how much is "more".
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookanswers View Post
How much RAM does it have? How much of the 8Gb of storage are available for the user?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookanswers View Post
Support for PDFs?
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
The color nook will support pdfs and allow zoom and pan via multi-touch gestures. I am very happy about that support as it will help me quite a bit with a number of tech documents I have.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
nookanswers

Quote:
How is it holding it with one hand?
Easy. Works fine. It doesn't feel that heavy - the display is really something. Images look really sharp.

Quote:
Is it going to be as easier to hack as the original nook?
Probably. There is a bar on the bottom that looks like it might support software android buttons, but that probably won't be till version 1.1 of the software. Final version of the software isn't done yet...

Quote:
Why do you feel you know more than most and how much is "more".
I've seen it!

Quote:
How much RAM does it have? How much of the 8Gb of storage are available for the user?
I don't know the first one, even though I'd like to. I think it was a little shy of 6GB available?

Quote:
Support for PDFs?
PDF, word files, powerpoint, etc. There's a nice interface for finding them, including folders.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would say it would bounce maybe as far as if you were dropped from that height.
I think it would really depend on the angle of nook impact and if it were in a case.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
nookanswers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I think it would really depend on the angle of nook impact and if it were in a case.
If dropped properly, landing on a 32.5 degree angle directly on the design element, the nook will (in a vacuum) rebound with the kinetic energy roughly equal to 28.73 percent of the initial potential energy.

The more charms you have on it, the better.

Any other questions about the interface? Multiple homescreens, ability to clean them up, video play seems snappy and will auto-orient itself the right way.

I saw some 3d graphics demos and it looked pretty capable there too - not a single hint of framerate drop.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Curious how "powerful" (perhaps "versatile" would be a better word) the browsing is.

I assume, but ask anyway, one can still not sideload non-B&N content via wifi.

In other words, can I download books from BooksonBoard via wifi, for instance?
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
nookanswers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Curious how "powerful" (perhaps "versatile" would be a better word) the browsing is.

I assume, but ask anyway, one can still not sideload non-B&N content via wifi.

In other words, can I download books from BooksonBoard via wifi, for instance?
Browsing was incredibly slick. The only issue was with pinch to zoom, which seemed to be a little finicky. The speed of everything was fantastic though - I was very impressed with how quickly it would load pages, and it was getting significantly better reception than the nooks sitting next to it.

I didn't see a wireless sideloading feature. I'd be surprised if someone didn't hack it in though.

I should have tried to download an ebook directly from a website, to see if you can save it directly - I've heard that's coming to the nooks themselves sometime, and if I had to guess I'd think that would work.

My guess - if you can access a website to download a compatible format, you're golden.

Tags
nook color