Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #16
csmith75
csmith75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you can't buy Mobi books for the Sony. Sony have their own format (BBeB). You can, however, buy Microsoft Reader (LIT) books and convert those for the Sony, but you need a Windows machine to actually buy LIT books. You also need a Windows system to be able to buy books from Sony's Connect store, including the free ones ("Bootcamp" works fine for this on a Mac).
You have to use a Windows machine to buy LIT books? I was counting on just being able to download LIT books from Fictionwise on my Mac.
csmith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
You do NOT need to use the Windows Mobipocket Reader to buy books. You can buy books directly from the website of ANY eBook store selling Mobi-format books. All you need is a web browser.
I agree. If you have a Windows PC, then using the MobiPocket Reader to manage your purchased MOBI e-books and handheld devices can be convenient, but it isn't even necessary on a PC and buying MobiPocket e-books from a Linux or Mac Desktop is very easy. This is the case for the Cybook and the iLiad, and probably for PDA's too.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
convertlit is also available for mac, so i don't think you need a PC for anything.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #19
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
SImple BUY A PC

AND stop BEING PART OF A CULT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Hi There,

I could really use some help on choosing an e-book reader. I never thought about getting one until recently when the Kindle came out and I started researching them, and then I found that the more I learn, the more I get pulled in different directions. Below are some of my thoughts based on what I’ve learned, but never having seen most of these I’m finding it to be a very difficult decision.

First of all, I am a Mac user without easy access to a PC, and I will mostly just be using this to read novels.

1) The Kindle. I love the idea of not needing a computer to download books, and the prices of books seems fair. Plus, being able to read magazines on it seems like a real bonus, but I hate the idea of being locked into Amazon, and it does look really ugly. No support for pdf is also a slight bummer, but not a deal breaker. The $400 for this would be at the top of my budget.

2) The Sony 505. I saw this in person at Borders and it is very pretty, and feels perfect in the hand. I hate that there is no Mac support, but am I correct that I can buy books from Mobipocket instead? Do I have to go through a conversion process, or can I just see the Sony as a USB drive and drag and drop? If I move on to another device later (like the Cybook) would I be able to still read the books I buy? And is there any way for me to take advantage of their 100 free classics offer?

3) The Cybook Gen 3. This is the device I am leaning toward. I like the idea of it being easy to use on a Mac and able to read more formats. Plus it is small and slick. Worrying about purchase and support is what is holding me up. A) I really like the NAEB deal at $375 for a modified deluxe package and I want to order from them, but from the posts I’ve read they don’t seem to quite have their act together. They don’t have the ability for anyone to purchase yet, and the date for this to happen keeps moving back. How do we know that they will have any customer support if something goes wrong with the unit? B) Even though it will be more expensive I’m considering ordering direct from Bookeen, but again, from the posts I’ve read it seems like this can be a bit problematic, and they aren’t delivering (on time anyway)

Thanks for your thoughts.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith75 View Post
You have to use a Windows machine to buy LIT books? I was counting on just being able to download LIT books from Fictionwise on my Mac.
I'm afraid you won't be able to do that (unless you run "Bootcamp" on your Mac). You need to have an "activated" copy of Microsoft Reader installed on your Windows machine - and Internet Explorer - in order to be able to purchase LIT books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
convertlit is also available for mac, so i don't think you need a PC for anything.
No, I'm afraid you're wrong. You can run "ConvertLIT" on the Mac, yes, but in order to buy the LIT files in the first place you need a Windows machine.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #22
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is a pity for The MACHEADS. They might actually ask a friend to borrow their PC. I am sure if one does..Then one will burn for eternity....That is IF they are already a MAC HEAD..
Old 12-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #23
csmith75
csmith75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm afraid you won't be able to do that (unless you run "Bootcamp" on your Mac). You need to have an "activated" copy of Microsoft Reader installed on your Windows machine - and Internet Explorer - in order to be able to purchase LIT books.
I guess the easiest way for me is to just install Windows on my laptop or just buy them on my PC then...thanks!
csmith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
That is a pity for The MACHEADS. They might actually ask a friend to borrow their PC. I am sure if one does..Then one will burn for eternity....That is IF they are already a MAC HEAD..
Please don't be rude. We can express opinions without having to insult other people.

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #25
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
hmm, I haven't tested it because I do not buy LIT files, but you might be able to run MS Reader with Crossover for Mac.
No need for Bootcamp or a dedicated windows partition.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #26
hidari
MR Drone

I forgot Harry T. You are one of the Gods of this Mobile Read. A most humble Apology. I will refrain from having a brain from now on. Was just pushing a button. Forgot No humor. Only truth.

Your Idiot,

hidari

Quote:
Please don't be rude. We can express opinions without having to insult other people.

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #27
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Perhaps you missed the part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I forgot Harry T. You are one of the Gods of this Mobile Read. A most humble Apology. I will refrain from having a brain from now on. Was just pushing a button. Forgot No humor. Only truth.

Your Idiot,

hidari
...about requiring a machine that runs a Windows OS?

Macintosh computers have been able to do this for years...or are you unaware of this?
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #28
hidari
MR Drone

I was making a joke. Yes. I am. I think Macs are good Computers. Just I meet A Hoard of Mac USERS that act like they have some "inside" information. As IF THEY know and the rest of the world does not. I had a Mac. good Machine. I prefer PCs. but IF you like a MAC fine: Yet, I meet many Mac users that get Evangelical about their machine. So I puke on the side. As one member said. They are really Apples and Oranges: Macs and PCs..Yet, I meet never ending army of MACHEADS...so I push a button....
Old 12-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #29
schmidt349
schmidt349 is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
As a Mac/Kindle user, I've been pretty pleased with the experience so far... you can buy books directly off Whispernet, so you don't even need a computer to complete your purchases, and you can read unencrypted Mobipocket files. One feature that seems to be overlooked a lot is the ability to send pdfs, htmls, and other sorts of files to a special email address and have them converted and sent straight to your Kindle via Whispernet (you do get dinged a dime every time, though).
schmidt349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
hmm, I haven't tested it because I do not buy LIT files, but you might be able to run MS Reader with Crossover for Mac.
No need for Bootcamp or a dedicated windows partition.
You can run MSReader using WINE in linux, but I've never managed to get it activated, which is what you need to strip the DRM from LIT files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote