Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Copyright

What's the assembled wisdom on the nature of the copyright statement to be included with an ebook? Is it the standard (c) symbol, or are people using some form of creative commons statements?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Here's what I've been using:

Book title
Copyright 2010 by K.C. May

All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce this book or
portions thereof in any form whatsoever.

I also include this after the copyright statement:

This book is entirely a work of fiction. The names, characters, places, and incidents depicted herein are either products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Here's what I used for TPR. Basically, I took the first page of a paperback book and rewrote it verbatim...You'll see I even included the number line for print runs for when I alter/update things.

Quote:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

THE PHOENIX RISING

All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2005 by David Alexander
Cover art by David Alexander

This book is protected under the copyright laws of the United States of America. Any reproduction or other unauthorized use of the material or artwork herein is prohibited without the express written permission of the author.

First Printing: September, 2005.
Printed in the United States of America

First Edition: September, 2005

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Cory Doctorow is famous for using a Creative Commons license, no DRM, and even makes (some of?) his work available as free downloads from his website, though I don't know of any other author who does this (the Creative Commons license). I think (I may be wrong) he gives the ability for people to write fan-fic based on his work. I'm not sure if they can sell it, or if they have to release it under a Creative Commons license also.

If you're going to publish through Smashwords, then I'm pretty sure they specify a copyright license. I'm not sure how it would work through Amazon DTP. Copyright is automatic. You simply write copyright (symbol) (year) (your name).

I suppose if you want to give people the ability to create derivative works, then you can use a Creative Commons license. Aside from this, I don't really see the benefit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Here's what I used for TPR. Basically, I took the first page of a paperback book and rewrote it verbatim...You'll see I even included the number line for print runs for when I alter/update things.
How does the number line for print runs work?
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Wow! I actually did a search on the word "copyright" before posting my thread as I thought someone would have taken the question up before. What I got back looked like an unsorted list of the entire forum, but none of the hits on the first page looked like they addressed the issue.

Now I've come back to my own thread, I find at the bottom a list of four threads which it considers are similar. Sorry for the repetition.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I would add an email address and something along the lines of "if you have downloaded this book without paying for it please consider sending a donation to encourage me to write more." And then putting the same line at the end of the book, but with "if you have enjoyed this book without paying ..."
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Not a bad idea, ploppy.

The number lines on books usually denotes the first printing/first edition, etc. It's used by collectors to determine what a "True" first printing is.

In the grand scheme of things, they print the first run as "First Printing First Edition 1" and then go up from there, up to (1)0.

When they do the second printing, some typos are fixed, other bugs squashed, that sort of thing.

I look at as equal to a version number in software. If you're going to squash a bug, may as well update the version number.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote