Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Has E-ink improved?

I own a Sony PRS-500. I was tempted by the PRS-505, but couldn't justify spending $300 for the slight improvements.

My only complaint with the PRS-500 is the screen contrast. The background is a little too "grey" for my liking.

Are there any e-readers with significantly better contrast? I didn't think the PRS-505 was enough of an improvement. But I am waiting...

I haven't been following the market lately, so I was hoping for some advice. If there isn't anything out there now that is a big improvement, is there technology on the "near" horizon?

Thanks!
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 2nd generation eInk screens which all current devices use have much better contrast than the PRS-500's first generation screen. The background is still grey, but the contrast is greatly improved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
also you can buy a used Kindle or 505 for about 200 bucks (the 505 ive seen as cheap as 165) dont buy new.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, lots of Kindle 1's on Craigslist if you're in a metro area. I grabbed a 5 month old one in great condition for $200. Sony 505's aren't very common on their though--didn't see any listed in the DC or Baltimore area or in a couple other cities when traveling and checking last week.

I'd only buy used that way, I don't trust buying something like an eReader without being able to test it out first so eBay is a no go.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

If you think the contrast of the 505 is not enough for you to upgrade then stay with the 500 as the other screens are basically giving the same experience to the users the 505 does (at least the 6” ones).

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert