Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Any good Zombie books out there?

I like zombies, but I wouldn't invite one to my party, as they tend to mess up the furniture when they sit down (too many maggots); they're also prone to cause general chaos as they roam aimlessly about, upsetting the silverware tray and spilling drinks all over the carpet. I'm also a book collector, and I wouldn't want any fungus rot settling in when they touch my collection. The longer they've been dead, of course, the clumsier they seem to be, so I'd also have to hide my Ebook Reader.

What's your favorite zombie book, uh?

Right now, I'm reading a wonderfully trashy piece of enjoyable nonsense called Blood of the Dead [Undead World Trilogy Book One], by A.P. Fuchs.

It's a pretty good read so far, just great fun and full of rotting, semi-ambulatory bodies.

Well, gotta go now, someone's scraping against the door.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
BBBRRAAAAAAIINNSS !!!!!

(sorry, no recommendations : i wouldn't actually read a zombie book if you paid me, my imagination is far too energetic.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman is the most entertaining, but World War Z is the most thoughtful zombie book I've read.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEngineer View Post
The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman is the most entertaining, but World War Z is the most thoughtful zombie book I've read.
WWZ is one of the last pbooks I purchased before buying my Kindle. I haven't touched it yet. Might have to buy the ebook version.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
stxopher
Nameless Being

Trashy? Well if you just want zombies you could always grab the Autumn series.

Not heirloom quality but a nice undead filler read.
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide are two that I keep meaning to read. Typically I haven't been drawn to any zombie stories in literature. Seems like a genre that needs to be on screen. But then those popped up recently and are intriguing. So

Zelda, now thanks to you I have an image of Panda zombies in my head. "BAMBOOOOO!!!!"

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide are two that I keep meaning to read. Typically I haven't been drawn to any zombie stories in literature. Seems like a genre that needs to be on screen. But then those popped up recently and are intriguing. So

Zelda, now thanks to you I have an image of Panda zombies in my head. "BAMBOOOOO!!!!"

-MJ
Panda Zombies? BAMBOOOOO???!!???! Oh wow.... definitly needs to be made into a movie!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Zombie books

What does a Zombie book eat? It probably won't want brains. Would it eat other books?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Trashy? Well if you just want zombies you could always grab the Autumn series.

Not heirloom quality but a nice undead filler read.
Ah, yes, that was a freebie that I grabbed back when I had a Sony 500. I've only read the first one, but it was a lot of fun.

Don
Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post

-MJ
I enjoyed them quite a bit; I read them about February of 2007 (iirc). Actually parts of the Zombie Survival guide are quite funny.... unless they are real, in which case, well.... I need a house with a second floor and a way to destroy the steps up to it (Zombies aren't good at climbing).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I enjoyed them quite a bit; I read them about February of 2007 (iirc). Actually parts of the Zombie Survival guide are quite funny.... unless they are real, in which case, well.... I need a house with a second floor and a way to destroy the steps up to it (Zombies aren't good at climbing).

--
Bill
I think you've hit upon something important about Zombies: They really do have difficulty doing stairs or climbing steps. My understanding, also, is that they lack certain hand/eye coordination, a problem certainly exacerbated when an eye-ball is hanging loose in its socket, assuming of course there is more than the remnant of an eyeball left. A missing eye, naturally, would further complicate issues. Two missing eyes must be hell on a Zombie.

The fact is, I believe it's tough being a Zombie, and we shouldn't engage in discriminatory practices against them just because they're Zombies. Some Zombies cannot help being who they are.

Is there a solution on the stairs issue?

Don
Old 11-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Start a "chairlifts for zombies" campaign. End disciminatiory practices against the undead.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think you've hit upon something important about Zombies: They really do have difficulty doing stairs or climbing steps. My understanding, also, is that they lack certain hand/eye coordination, a problem certainly exacerbated when an eye-ball is hanging loose in its socket, assuming of course there is more than the remnant of an eyeball left. A missing eye, naturally, would further complicate issues. Two missing eyes must be hell on a Zombie.

The fact is, I believe it's tough being a Zombie, and we shouldn't engage in discriminatory practices against them just because they're Zombies. Some Zombies cannot help being who they are.

Is there a solution on the stairs issue?

Don
Well first of all, I think it is unfair to single out the zombies amongst the undead (sorry, I meant to say alternate life enabled (afterwards know by its acronym ALE)). ALEs all have particular challenges; do you have any idea how much sunscreen a vampire has to go through every single day? And lets not forget the psychological therapy that ghosts need so they can move on to the next world.

That being said, I may sound like a bigot, but I don't want ALEs living in my neighborhood; they are not like us. At least I can keep vampires out of my house, other ALEs like ghosts just walk right though the wall without asking for permission. And of course once they enter the neighborhood the property values just drop like a stone.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There are three zombie novels by David Wellington available here:
http://www.brokentype.com/monster/

1. Monster Island.
2. Monster Nation.
3. Monster Planet.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I wasn't aware of those. Thanks, Patricia.

Don