Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Conrad, Joseph: Complete Works | v.1.3 | 6 May 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	106821

This volume collects the complete writings of Joseph Conrad (1857–1924, Wikipedia):

Almayer’s Folly (1895)
An Outcast of the Islands (1896)
The Nigger of the “Narcissus” (1897)
Tales of Unrest (1898): Karain: A Memory, The Idiots, An Outpost of Progress, The Return, The Lagoon
Lord Jim (1900)
The Inheritors (1901, with Ford Madox Hueffer)
Youth: A Narrative, and Two Other Stories (1902): Youth, Heart of Darkness, The End of the Tether
Typhoon and Other Stories (1903): Typhoon, Amy Foster, Falk, To-morrow
Romance (1903, with Ford Madox Hueffer)
Nostromo (1904)
The Mirror of the Sea (1906, memoir)
The Secret Agent (1907)
A Set of Six (1908): Gaspar Ruiz, The Informer, The Brute, An Anarchist, The Duel, Il Conde
Under Western Eyes (1911)
A Personal Record (1912, memoir)
’Twixt Land and Sea (1912): A Smile of Fortune, The Secret Sharer, Freya of the Seven Isles
Chance (1913)
Within the Tides (1915): The Planter of Malata, The Partner, The Inn of the Two Witches, Because of the Dollars
Victory (1915)
The Shadow-Line (1917)
The Arrow of Gold (1919)
The Rescue (1920)
Notes on Life and Letters (1921, essays)
The Rover (1923)
The Nature of a Crime (1923, with Ford Madox Hueffer)
Suspense (1925, unfinished)
Tales of Hearsay (1925): The Warrior’s Soul, Prince Roman, The Tale, The Black Mate
Last Essays (1926, essays)

Formatting, italics, and accents have been checked and corrected by comparing the texts with the paper editions. Quotes are curly, footnotes are active, and fonts are embedded. All the “Author’s notes” from the 1921 Uniform Edition of his works have been added.

The collection is sorted chronologically by book publication. There are the usual inline tables of contents and links after each text/chapter to get back to the respective tables. Dates of first publication can be found at the end of the stories.

This edition is almost complete and comprises, at the moment, all book publications before 1927. A section with uncollected miscellaneous writings will be added sooner rather than later, I hope.

Ahoi,
pynch.

Update | v.1.1 | 10 Sep 2013
Fixed the content.opf so the cover is displayed in iBooks.

Update | v.1.2 | 13 Mar 2016
Proofed Almayer's Folly, An Outcast of the Islands, The Nigger of the “Narcissus”, Tales of Unrest, Lord Jim, Youth and Two Other Stories, Typhoon and Other Stories, Nostromo, The Secret Agent, A Set of Six, ’Twixt Land and Sea, Chance, Within the Tides, The Shadow-Line, The Arrow of Gold, and Tales of Hearsay against the first British editions, mostly, and corrected thousands of mistakes and variants.

Update | v.1.3 | 6 May 2018
Proofed The Inheritors, Under Western Eyes, A Personal Record, Victory, The Rescue, Notes on Life and Letters, The Rover, and Last Essays against the first British editions, mostly, and corrected thousands of mistakes and variants. I have also added the page numbers for most of these and all of the books from version 1.2.

Previous Download Count: 2252
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Conrad - Works v1.3.epub (5.46 MB, 1218 views)

Last edited by pynch; 05-06-2018 at 11:37 AM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Amazing! Thanks for sharing your work.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
Thank you so much!
I have already forgotten, when I asked for it!
Thank you!
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Halvah
Bodhisattva
Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halvah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Clara2e
Thank you for this wonderful work.
Halvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
bathop
ars_longa_vita_brevis
bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Tausend Dank!

Wunderschön - ohne jede Einschränkung!
bathop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
book_goddess
Nameless Being

Thank you so much for sharing this - what an excellent resource!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Hi, I'm confused by something. I looked at the Narcissus and the speech quotes are single ' quotes rather than double ".

I looked at a scan of a 1914 printing of this and it uses the double quotes for speech..

Also, the nice cover you made doesn't show on the iBooks bookshelf.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
No reading application is perfect.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, I'm confused by something. I looked at the Narcissus and the speech quotes are single ' quotes rather than double ".

I looked at a scan of a 1914 printing of this and it uses the double quotes for speech..

The single quotes were in the source text of the Adelaide University, it would be quite difficult to change them, so I hope that it’s easy enough to get used to them.

Could you please try the attached file and see if the cover shows in iBooks now?

EDIT: Attached the modified file to the main post.

Last edited by pynch; 09-10-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Hi, I can confirm the Conrad cover works now in the file you asked me to look at. The covers for Joyce and Woolf also work. The cover for Fitzgerald does not. I haven't tested any others yet.

What is the difference between the Adelaide copy and the Google scan of the 1914 printing as placed here? http://archive.org/details/niggernarcissus00conrgoog
Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
From what I've seen, British English uses single quotes whereas American English uses double quotes.

The exception is with nested quotes (quotes inside of quotes) where British and American usage is reversed.

American -

Daffy said, "It's not: 'He doesn't have to shoot you now.' It's: 'He doesn't have to shoot me now.' Well, I say he does have to shoot me now!"

British -

Daffy said, 'It's not: "He doesn't have to shoot you now." It's: "He doesn't have to shoot me now." Well, I say he does have to shoot me now'!
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Sunspark
Zealot

This is fascinating. I had no idea. I will have to check later and see if this has changed past vs present.

Modern stories like the Harry Potter books were written in the UK but published worldwide. Game of Thrones was written in the US and also published worldwide. I have both the US and UK edition of an ebook (recent) and should take a look.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
From what I've seen, British English uses single quotes whereas American English uses double quotes.
True, but I've seen some books where the usage is a bit more complicated, with single quotes for direct dialog (when the characters are actually speaking) and double quotes for other uses (other quotations, titles, ironic or unusual usage of words, etc.), and not necessarily nested. (Or maybe the opposite usage, I don't remember exactly.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks so much for this, pynch.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #15
pynch
why in?

Update v.1.2 | 13 Mar 2016.

I have proofed the following books against the first British editions, mostly:

Almayer's Folly against the 1895 T. Fisher Unwin edition;

An Outcast of the Islands against the 1896 T. Fisher Unwin edition;

The Nigger of the “Narcissus” against the 1898 William Heinemann edition (the first retail edition);

Tales of Unrest against the 1898 T. Fisher Unwin edition;

Lord Jim against the 1900 William Blackwood & Sons edition;

Youth and Two Other Stories against the 1902 William Blackwood & Sons edition;

Typhoon and Other Stories against the 1903 William Heinemann edition;

Nostromo against the 1904 Harper & Brothers edition;

The Secret Agent against the 10th Methuen & Co. edition from 1920 (I couldn’t find an earlier one);

A Set of Six against the 1920 Methuen & Co. edition;

’Twixt Land and Sea against the 1912 J.M. Dent & Sons Ltd. edition;

Chance against the 1914 Methuen & Co. Ltd. edition (the first retail edition);

Within the Tides against the 1915 J.M. Dent & Sons Ltd. edition;

The Shadow Line against the 1917 J.M. Dent & Sons Ltd. edition;

The Arrow of Gold against the 1927 T. Fisher Unwin, Ltd. edition (the printer of the 1st edition couldn’t tell a c from an e, so you get the 10th); and

Tales of Hearsay against the 1925 Doubleday, Page & Co. edition (the American one, as there seems to be no early British edition).

Thousands of mistakes and variants have been corrected, so please let me know if you find any mistakes.