Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Battery life decreases after appling the patch

Has anyone noticed that after applying the latest patch for Kindle Paperwhite, ver. 5.3.1, battery life is noticeably shorter? I used to be able to use my Paperwhite for a total of 13.5 hours with LED at level 24 (full blast) but now it runs one hour shorter or less. Both are tested under the same condition. The only difference is the one with shorter battery life used the patch from Amazon.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 01-02-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you honestly need to have the light at 24? I use a light setting of 11, and probably get 40+ hours reading time from a charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you honestly need to have the light at 24? I use a light setting of 11, and probably get 40+ hours reading time from a charge.
Yes, I am pretty sure that it was level 24. I double checked before using it.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not doubting that your light was at level 24; I'm just asking if you actually need to have the light at 24? Power consumption increases dramatically with high light levels.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
Julius Caesar
Addict

Quote:
I'm not doubting that your light was at level 24; I'm just asking if you actually need to have the light at 24? Power consumption increases dramatically with high light levels.
But that besides the point. Battery life shouldn't change because of a new patch. It shouldn't happen. Or if does change, it should increase, not decrease.
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A fair point, to be sure, but if you can at least double your battery life by setting the light only slightly lower, it may perhaps not be an issue which is significant. The human eye perceives brightness on a logarithmic scale, so as the light gets brighter, the power consumption very rapidly increases. Light level 24 uses almost 10x the power of light level 12, for example (level 12 sets the LED power to 26 out of 255, level 24 sets it to 254 out of 255).

Last edited by HarryT; 01-02-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I get 12 hours with WiFi off and 10 hours with WiFi on (other than for syncing) on my Paperwhtie. I use the light setting at 22 all the time.

Your results are well within my range so there is nothing wrong. Each unit may vary a little from other units depending on the type of usage.

Your own difference between one firmware version and another may reflect your specific usage during that cycle.

Frankly, I'm leaving WiFi on all the time now in the day and shut it off only when I sleep in the night. An hour or two difference is irrelevant.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Speaking of battery life, how long does pw last on standby/case closed/sleep/whatever it is called? I tend to read a lot for days, then have a pause for weeks only to find my device totally dead when I want to do the next reading session.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Shut Down Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Speaking of battery life, how long does pw last on standby/case closed/sleep/whatever it is called? I tend to read a lot for days, then have a pause for weeks only to find my device totally dead when I want to do the next reading session.
If you are going to leave the PW for a long time, hold the power button for SEVEN seconds until the screen goes blank and it will be totally shut down.

If you wait many weeks to use it again, just give it a 4 hour charge at that time before use. You will then get 10 to 12 hours of reading time.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you are going to leave the PW for a long time, hold the power button for SEVEN seconds until the screen goes blank and it will be totally shut down.
No - that's just sleep mode with a blank screen, as you can see from the fact that when you press the power switch again, it wakes up instantly; you don't get the boot sequence.

(Yes, I know that Amazon call it "powering off", but it isn't!)

There's no way to completely power off a Kindle.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
No - that's just sleep mode with a blank screen, as you can see from the fact that when you press the power switch again, it wakes up instantly; you don't get the boot sequence.

Is there a way to restart it?
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sure - just hold the power slider for about 20s (or select "Restart" from the menu, of course).
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool A way to completely power off a Kindle

Quote:

I believe that removing the battery would do it!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's always one smarty pants, isn't there?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The number of books you have on a Kindle counts toward battery life as well. Especially if you do alot of searches. You also have to take into account adding books which have to be index.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote