Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Kobo in Borders Australia

I was just in the Tuggerah store of Borders and they had just received their demo model of the Kobo reader they will be selling in Oz.

I asked "when will they be selling them?"

The guy couldn't tell me, but he did say that a display will be setup this Thursday to show the public, so I guess it will be very soon. He also said he thinks it will be just under $200
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
My tech partner in Canada checked out the Kobo in a local store yesterday, Ian, and reckons it's a darned fine wee machine. One wee problem he came across is that there doesn't seem to be a facility to increase the text size of ePub ebooks. He's taking another look today. He reckons it'll be a toss up for him between the Kobo and iPad. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #3
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
I was just in the Tuggerah store of Borders and they had just received their demo model of the Kobo reader they will be selling in Oz.

I asked "when will they be selling them?"

The guy couldn't tell me, but he did say that a display will be setup this Thursday to show the public, so I guess it will be very soon. He also said he thinks it will be just under $200
That's a great news!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Last I read they're going to start selling the readers and open their ebook store on May 19th.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
One wee problem he came across is that there doesn't seem to be a facility to increase the text size of ePub ebooks.
If you check out the kobo forum you'll find that there already is a workaround for this problem. Also kobo is aware of it so it should be fixed in a firmware update.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Neil, this a little off topic, but is there any update on when Liza Granville's new book is being released.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
philophobos
philophobos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, waiting for other pad/slate devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
My tech partner in Canada checked out the Kobo in a local store yesterday, Ian, and reckons it's a darned fine wee machine. One wee problem he came across is that there doesn't seem to be a facility to increase the text size of ePub ebooks. He's taking another look today. He reckons it'll be a toss up for him between the Kobo and iPad. Cheers. Neil
Sorry for the confusion Neil. The text size feature is present on the Kobo reader and it works well for books stored in the internal memory. I've accessed some of ours epub files from a SD card and for those, the size thing wouldn't work. Maybe if the file is stored in the internal memory it works, but I haven't tried that.
T
philophobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
APC article on Kobo launch in Australia

http://apcmag.com/borders-prepping-k...-next-week.htm

The Kobo is also headed for a local release, with Borders Australia setting aside next Wednesday (May 19th) for a media event ‘to share in the launch of its eBooks and eReader’.
billingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hmm , just was at Borders but didn't see any setup for the Kobo. Might head down there next Wednesday to see if they have it.

PS just rang the store in Brisbane. They will have the Kobo on display. The poor guy was tad confused as he said it's Thursday. Hmm, I trust my calendar and will go on Wednesday.

Last edited by Katti's Cat; 05-11-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Oh, exciting stuff! Borders NZ, as well as Whitcoulls (a Kiwi chain owned by the same group) are going to sell e-books and Kobo readers, too - reportedly this month. I'm looking forward to it.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I have spoken to Borders in Robina, Queensland.

They did not have the Kobo itself there yet, but it is not necessary to own one to access it's ebookstore. The manager says that they will have most of the formats available after the 19th of this month.

Most of the other staff appears to not have been primed for the arrival of the Kobo, but they are extremely helpful in every other way.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***Neil, this a little off topic, but is there any update on when Liza Granville's new book is being released?***

Hi Sianon. The files went to LS yesterday. Then there's the ARC to proof and LS's own quality control check for print-generated error ... and all the usual behind-the-scenes admin work, library placements, etc. We've pencilled in a release date of June 4th and should have confirmation of that very soon. *The Tor* is one of my colleague Hugh McCracken's edits, but I ran a proof read a while ago and re-proofed the final print PDF last week. A superb piece of work from Liza, and well worth waiting for. Cheers. Neil

PS: Re the Kobo font size glitch. It seems my tech partner, Tony, was talking about books on an SD card when he hit the no-zoom problem. There's another thread running here now about how to get around that. The Kobo seems a very neat wee gizmo. N
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr

An update on Liza Granville's *THE TOR*, Sianon. It was released this week in paperback, PDF, ePub and Mobi ebook formats. You'll find it at most online stores now or by going direct to our BeWrite Books website at http://www.bewrite.net and clicking on the Bookstore link.

You'll find all buying details there and links to the author bio and an extract. The ebook is $5.99 (US).

Over the next twenty-four hours, the first three MobileRead members who email me (ntmarrATbewrite.net -- but with the @ sign, of course) can have the ebook format of their choice free of charge.

All our ebooks are DRM free, by the way, and have no geographical restriction.

Best wishes. And thanks for your interest in a fine novel. Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drm_free_red.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	53118