Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #121
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I used to read LIT files on my stylistic 1200. I - and I can't remember if this was a native capacity or something I did myself, I admit - was able to run microsoft reader portrait without rotating the entire screen in windows (which never worked right on my 1200).
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #122
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Okay, I sit corrected. I've seen two folks thus far chime in to say they use it.

And that's the main reason I know that most folks grab LIT files by preference: easy to strip DRM and convert to something else as desired.
The reason this site is called MobileRead, that is because there is a strong bias for reading devices that are portable. It is also why there is such a strong bias against formats that are not device portable friendly. I think it's a mistake in logic to assume that because only 2 people in a group of thousands responded that LIT is not popular.
Do you recall that survey that ran here a few months back showed that 60% of the people that buy eBooks read on the PC. Most members here where flabbergasted to hear that statistic, I know I was. Which also explains why PDF is also a perfected eBook format, because PDF are great to read on a PC.

Quote:
And that's the main reason I know that most folks grab LIT files by preference: easy to strip DRM and convert to something else as desired.
That was why I started buying LIT to be exact, but then I found out it provided other great benefits that PDF and LRF did not have.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #123
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
And so has Sony. Do you think Sony is going to allow me to replace all the .lrx books I've purchased from them with ePub versions?
I was under the impression that the answer to this question was yes
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #124
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I was under the impression that the answer to this question was yes
Absolutely right; Sony have stated that you will be able to re-download all the books you've bought in the Sony store in ePub format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #125
dweller
dweller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle DXi, Apple iPad 64GB 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely right; Sony have stated that you will be able to re-download all the books you've bought in the Sony store in ePub format.
Any idea when this is meant to happen? I doubt my next device will be a Sony.

Would be nice to be able to get ePub versions of the LRX books I've bought from the sony store lately
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #126
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They said "by the end of the year".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #127
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Microsoft Reader works especially well with TTS, I've read many books on it. I think that one of the best ways of reading is with your eyes and ears at the same time.

Does this new development mean we'll be reading Kindle books on our laptops -- in black and white, or gray? I hope not. It would be nice to be able to see some of those charts, maps, and pictures with a good display.

Amazon stock went way up on the news, I made a bunch and am wondering if I should sell.

I hope you don't have to be connected to the net while you're reading, just when you first get the book.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #128
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Yes, Microsoft Reader has been around for almost ten years. But who actually uses it to read ebooks?
Well, most anyone who reads ebooks on either a laptop, a PocketPC, a Windows Mobile PDA, or a smartphone, uses it from time to time. It's still one of my 3 primary ereading applications on those platforms.

Quote:
A lot of folks simply aren't comfortable reading extensively on a PC screen. One reason dedicated readers are popular is the eInk screen.
You are aware of the fact that the most popular ebook reader on earth is a PC of some kind, aren't you? Most people have no problem with it. Second most popular is probably whatever portable/converged device they have in thier pocket. Dedicated readers, some of which have eInk screens, are third. Since _Mobile_Read is about the second and third categories, we tend to forget about the first category.

Quote:
While I think a PC reader for Kindle books is a good idea, I don't see it being many people's primary reader.
You mean the people who currently read on a PC will suddenly stop? I doubt it.

Quote:
For instance, my primary reader is a Palm OS PDA, with eBooks in Plucker, MobiPocker, PDF, eReader, and a couple of other formats. Because FBReader handles Plucker and Mobipocket files (and ePub), most of my ebook library is also on my notebook which triple boots Wion2K and two flavors of Linux. My master repository is on my desktop PC, with software that will let me read any ebook I possess, but I almost never use it for that.
You might want to tune up your imagination. Other people read differently. In most cases, a lot differently.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #129
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Is this Kindle for Windows app just going to be for Windows 7? Or are those of us who are content with an older version of Windows going to be able to get it as well? Because I was looking forward to this, but I read an article on Yahoo that made me think it's only for Windows 7.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #130
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
The Kindle page says it is for XP, Vista and Windows 7
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #131
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
Is this Kindle for Windows app just going to be for Windows 7? Or are those of us who are content with an older version of Windows going to be able to get it as well? Because I was looking forward to this, but I read an article on Yahoo that made me think it's only for Windows 7.
Windows XP ok. I suspect this is just a warmed over copy of Mobipocket for the PC. It will have upgraded DRM for Amazon books, TPZ support and likely disabled for mobipocket DRM (stupid by the way). This is a pretty good reader with the ability to manage your library which is sorely needed for the Kindle. It can also convert several other formats like PDF and ePUB.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #132
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Does this new development mean we'll be reading Kindle books on our laptops -- in black and white, or gray? I hope not. It would be nice to be able to see some of those charts, maps, and pictures with a good display.
Well, the demo video I saw did display the book covers in color. I would hope any color images in the ebooks would be in color too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #133
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Amazon stock went way up on the news, I made a bunch and am wondering if I should sell.
I'd sell, but don't look to me for financial advice-if my advice was good then I'd be rich & I'm not. But, with that caveat, I'd point out that stock that goes high quickly usually also comes down-if not immediately, then eventually. So if it were me, I'd sell while it's still high.

Quote:
I hope you don't have to be connected to the net while you're reading, just when you first get the book.
I don't see how WhisperSync could work if you're not-but if you don't use WhisperSync then that's a good question.

BTW, I thought WhisperSync sounded like a good idea when I read about it, but a friend pointed out some potential privacy issues. Mostly it's a matter of what Amazon does with the information that you send.

One thing that was mentioned, which I think might be good, is that they could tell what books you quit reading before finishing-that might lead to more accurate 'ratings'. ('Best seller' means a lot of people bought it-it says nothing about how many people read it.)

But, consider that the information goes to your account. By definition that means it's personally identified. Depending on how they mine it, they could turn up a *lot* of information about your reading habits.

OTOH I do trust Amazon, as much as I trust any organization, I think. Sure, they're out for my money but they do seem to understand that in the long run they'll get more of it by respecting me than by treating me as just a 'resource'.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #134
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, the demo video I saw did display the book covers in color. I would hope any color images in the ebooks would be in color too.

BOb
The kindle reader for the ipod Touch has color covers, but they mostly have the same crappy generic covers as for the Kindle so it doesn't matter much.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #135
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Kindle books are exactly the same as the mobipocket books. Amazon doesn't make anything gray scale. I strip the DRM off all my books from Amazon and have seen that they all still have color. And as someone mentioned, the iPhone shows color in the books, as well. It's clear Amazon was thinking about providing content for other devices and thinking about a future technology in ebook readers.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote