Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
KetchupKid
KetchupKid began at the beginning.

Device: My Desktop Computer
Question Why is my PC Calibre Library Folder a "device"?

Every time I open Calibre, it "connects" to a device, even though I have no devices connected to my PC. I think it looks at my chosen library folder on my desktop PC and thinks of it as a device. I find nothing about this in user manuals.

Sometimes I am able to disconnect the "device" from Calibre, sometimes not.

How do I eliminate Calibre thinking of my PC as a device. This seems all really screwed up. Any help?
KetchupKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Because you asked it to, in Preferences->Tweaks->Specify a folder that calibre should connect to at startup
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is really a bad idea to store the actual Library on the Desktop. 1 wrong action and POOF

While not recommended, if you absolutely must assess. Place a Dektop shortcut TO the Library.
There are very few reasons to direct access a Library. Calibre can do that job without the risks of breaking linkages. You need to know exactly what will not cause integrity damage. Play it safe
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is really a bad idea to store the actual Library on the Desktop. 1 wrong action and POOF

While not recommended, if you absolutely must assess. Place a Dektop shortcut TO the Library.
There are very few reasons to direct access a Library. Calibre can do that job without the risks of breaking linkages. You need to know exactly what will not cause integrity damage. Play it safe
@theducks - the OP wrote

Quote:
I think it looks at my chosen library folder on my desktop PC and thinks of it as a device
I think I did this once - inadvertently set the tweak to a Library folder instead of a Pseudo Device folder. Can't recall what happened.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
KetchupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Because you asked it to, in Preferences->Tweaks->Specify a folder that calibre should connect to at startup
Thank you Kovid! You or someone else already gave me the answer on your Facebook page. I forgot I posted the question here also.

And that DID solve the problem. Many thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
KetchupKid

I don't have the library on the Desktop, but in a folder on my main C drive. And I keep it backed up onto an external drive.

Is that what you meant Mr. Ducks?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchupKid View Post
I don't have the library on the Desktop, but in a folder on my main C drive. And I keep it backed up onto an external drive.

Is that what you meant Mr. Ducks?
Yes

Way back when, some poor soul actually MADE their Library in the Desktop folder (that content is what you see ON the Desktop).
One day, they cleaned up

Kovid added code to prevent SOME common Creation mix ups.
The New Library location must be Empty, It can't land on the Desktop
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre main library, pc as device