Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #16
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Sepia with Georgia font (#2 size) with medium borders...looks just like a paperback! I love it. Had an iPad and sold it for the Nook Color. No regrets because I can actually hold the NC for longer that a minute without arm fatigue AND the resolution is better on the NC than the iPad. Lovin the Nook Color. New fanboy here. Now please open the marketplace B&N.
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
When I read at night, I prefer a pure black background, so I add this to the ePubs:

Code:
body {
       background-color:#000000;
       color:#dddddd;
 }
The result is that, in "publisher defaults", I get black background and white-ish text. You can tweak the brightness of the text and the darkness of the background to suite your taste.
thanks for the tip! i've never messed with the css of epubs. sad part is that now i have to do that to quite a few ebooks.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Typically on the back of a charging rino.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #19
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Does anyone have screenshots? It might be useful.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I'll try and post some when I get home. Greetz from Suwanee lionel47.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #21
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Does anybody have any idea what the color settings are for the sepia option? I would like to modify the CSS to set this as the publishers default as opposed to the standard white.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #22
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
It's so nice to have all these choices. While I really wanted to like the Kindle3, I just couldn't stand the Caecilia font, or whatever it is, the only choice. It looks like a font for a homemade greeting card, not an actual book. Despite all the moaning about an LCD screen and 'just another Android tablet' when the NookColor was announced, I think it was brilliant of them not to try to compete in e-ink, but to go where all the awful Android tablets failed, as an e-reader with a great screen that can do a lot of other cool things as well.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #23
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Publisher defaults during the day.

Night during, well, the night.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #24
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I use Dutch on Gray, with minimal borders and minimal line spacing. I use the smallest readable font size for the book I am reading at the moment.

I switch to Night when reading in bed. The NOOKColor's handing of font, background, margins, and line spacing really make the device stand out in the field of ereaders.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #25
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
It's so nice to have all these choices. While I really wanted to like the Kindle3, I just couldn't stand the Caecilia font, or whatever it is, the only choice. It looks like a font for a homemade greeting card, not an actual book. Despite all the moaning about an LCD screen and 'just another Android tablet' when the NookColor was announced, I think it was brilliant of them not to try to compete in e-ink, but to go where all the awful Android tablets failed, as an e-reader with a great screen that can do a lot of other cool things as well.

I agree
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #26
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i have now been finding I'm liking "Normal' background with about 30% brightness same Georigia font, for my daytime commute on the train. it almost has this ice blue look to it that is really easy on the eyes.

still loving my Night mode for low light and bed time reading
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I find myself using the gray background now (brightness at 1/3/) in lighted environments. Still use night mode in bed.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #28
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I find myself using the gray background now (brightness at 1/3/) in lighted environments. Still use night mode in bed.
I followed the same progression. First I used the defaults, then I tried Sepia, now I use gray. I still use night mode but gray is now my favorite.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I followed the same progression. First I used the defaults, then I tried Sepia, now I use gray. I still use night mode but gray is now my favorite.
That's good to know! I thought I was an oddball for preferring the gray.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #30
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That's good to know! I thought I was an oddball for preferring the gray.
Oh no, Gray is great, I love it. I like normal when I'm out and about. I think when I'm under the flourescent lights of my subway car or at work normal at 30% brightness renders a terrific contrast, that's sharp but still easy on the eyes.

Gray is awesome for low lighting reading with normal light bulbs.

Gray rocks