Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Mike Railton
Mike Railton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre wont start (first time start up)

Hi my name is Mike and I am new to using Calibre, or at least I would like to be using it. I have now donwloaded and tried to install the new version (calibre-0.8.52) and prior to that the previous version.

In both cases the install goes fine but when I start Calibre I do NOT get the welcome screen to complete the set up. calibre.exe runs and I get a Windows file manger type screen (see attachment) to select a file name (as my search found no matches). I then select a folder and press enter.

On splash screen (the books image) I can just make out at the top it running through some steps but it always stops at "initialising user interface". After this nothing else happens, If I click on the splash screen image it goes away but nothing else happens.

At this point calibre.exe can be seen running if I check in Windows Task Manager but does not appear to be using any CPU cycles.

I have tried repair and uninstall / reinstall several times now (with the new and previous versions) but always with the same result.

Can anyone help?
Many thanks

Mike.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf When i start Calibre.pdf (103.0 KB, 387 views)
Mike Railton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That dialog part of the Welcome Wizard. It is asking where the Calibre library folder for holding ebooks should be located. Give it an empty folder (create it if necessary) and press OK to continue.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Mike Railton

Itimpi; thanks for the response, that is just what i have done, i give it the name of an empty folder. In that folder it does create a single file named: metadata.db

But as I say nothing happens and the user interface never comes up.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Ok - the metadata.db file is all one would expect in an empty library. Not sure why the UI is not loading then.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Mike Railton

Nor me, but thanks for trying.

I suspect there must be something corrupt from my first installation that cannot be got over by reboots, uninstalls and reinstalls

many thanks

Mike
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved. Please read the Sticky https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122042 before thinking of posting in the Developers group
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Is it starting to the System tray? Look for a icon in your tray.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Mike Railton

Hi there, no icon for Calibre in the system tray I'm sorry to say.

Mike
Old 05-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Make sure calibre process is not running then try moving the calibre settings folder. Now start calibre up. This will give you all new calibre settings and with any luck bring up calibre fresh for you.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run calibre in debug mode

calibre-debug -g

in a command prompt.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #11
Mike Railton

Hi there, ran command as requested (calibre-debug -g), output follows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mike>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 228, in initialize
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 209, in initialize_db
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 185, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 137, in start_gui
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 194, in initialize
File "site.py", line 50, in load_module
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\fonts\__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
RuntimeError: Failed to load fontconfig with error:MemoryLoadLibrary() failed lo
ading fontconfig.pyd

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For some reason loading the fontconfig dll is failing on your system. Unfortunately, windows gives us no way of finding out why it is failing (that I know of).

Generic things to try: Exclude the calibre install folder from your antivirus program, uninstall and delete the install folder then do a clean install. Try the calibre portable install instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any chance there might be some corrupted fonts in Windows?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #14
Mike Railton

Thanks for this will try it and see.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #15
Mike Railton

Can't be totally sure but I don't think so.

Tags
calibre, first start up