Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
HP will keep PC business

HP will keep PC business ...

However, not so sure what the future or current impact on TouchPad will be. I know it is receiving software updates, but not so sure about anything else.

Happy with this news! More choices, more competition!

Last edited by jocampo; 10-27-2011 at 05:15 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

However, not so sure what the future or current impact on TouchPad will be. I know it is receiving software updates, but not so sure about anything else.

I wish I was able to get a TouchPad and put Android on it. I haven't read anything recent on it though on how well it's working. I just know it was successfully done. Might be a nice tablet. WebOS is dead though from what I understand. They got rid of most of that team? Sad, looked like a nice OS. And like you said, more competition, more innovation, more stuff for us to play with!
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope! webOs is not dead, who told you that :-)

We have been developing after the TP was released. There was a new update just a few days ago.

The initial decision (a bad one in my opinion) was about PSG only.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Nuts! I guess people will continue to bring me their dead HP laptops...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Well, that's good news. I just brought a HP laptop a couple of months ago and it has worked great!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Hp only showdown the webOS division. their PC division was not going to be shutdown, just sold off. muck like IBM sold off the PC businesses.

we were always going to have just as many choices, just with a different name.

however considering the former CEO lost his job shortly after the announcement is really is no surprise HP new CEO reverted the decision.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That's nifty to hear. I like some of the HP laptops.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The PC business was also much too big for any single buyer, that must have been one of the reasons. And perhaps they figured that it will be a lot easier to compete with Apple now that Steve Jobs died. They make good stuff, styling is their main problem.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
After having HPs for so many years, and then hearing the news they would be leaving the PC business, I bought a Toshiba.

I'm only one customer, of course, and $900 is nothing to them.

I wish them all the greatest success with their current and future customers.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Whoop dee doo.

I have owned multiple HP laptops over the years, and have never really been happy with any of them. And yet, whenever I'm in the market for a new one, there's an HP available for a good price and good specs, and so I get burned again.

I was actually glad HP wouldn't be an option anymore, if for no reason other than the fact that I wouldn't foolishly convince myself that this time it will work out better.

Sigh. I guess I better prepare myself for being fooled again.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
kevinrau
kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kevinrau knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad
Did you guys hear about the couple of thousand newly-made TouchPads that somehow got sent out with Android on them. OMG, there's a fiasco for you.

I'm glad to hear they are keeping the PC business, however. I'd love to see them decide to continue making the TouchPads (assuming they can get their own manufacturing price low enough to make money at the $99 price point).

Kevin Rau

promotion deleted - MODERATOR

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-16-2011 at 01:58 PM.
kevinrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And perhaps they figured that it will be a lot easier to compete with Apple now that Steve Jobs died.
Apple isn't their main competitor in PC sales. Lenovo and Dell are.

Sounds like they are going to shut down WebOS though, sadly.

Last edited by kjk; 10-28-2011 at 10:16 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
After having HPs for so many years, and then hearing the news they would be leaving the PC business, I bought a Toshiba.

I'm only one customer, of course, and $900 is nothing to them.

I wish them all the greatest success with their current and future customers.

Don
Understandable!

Our market on Latin america is strong and big. But when you lead a small or medium company, you cannot take chances. I know a lot of people who made same decision and switch.

It will take a while to regain those customers and market but reverting the decision was better than doing the actual spin-off, in my opinion.

What some people don't know or understand, is that it's not only the profitability of the PSG business itself, but it supply chain; it's the biggest in the world, bigger than Apple. So that giveS HP some negotiation power in other areas that otherwise would not be possible.

And HP laptops are not bad, honestly. There are lemons, of course. But they give a good balance between price and features, and of course, you can run Office without virtualization software, which for those who need a computer for more than pleasure, is usually a must.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-28-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
And HP laptops are not bad, honestly. There are lemons, of course. But they give a good balance between price and features, and of course, you can run Office without virtualization software, which for those who need a computer for more than pleasure, is usually a must.
I've always felt its their printer business that is the best of product. Their PC is not so good.

They got a huge boost when they bought Compaq(btw that was a case of losing choices) but I've seen their quality slide after that.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That's nifty to hear. I like some of the HP laptops.

Me too.

If they are coming back, I wish I had bought one of the cheap tablets for $99. I worried about the future support.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote