Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #61
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I am trying to replacate your process. From where you took ramdisk.maint.gz.crc and ramdisk.android.gz.crc golden or ermine?
they are different size.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #62
perldude69
Fun-ologist
perldude69 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge, Galaxy S
I used the Golden update.zip for everything. When I ogt my PE working again, I upgraded to Ermine and then Allmine.
perldude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #63
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

it looka like i have to set an ubuntu machine. any luck will work from a mac or a virtual ubuntu?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #64
perldude69
Fun-ologist

I have no experience with either. A virtual may work if the usb ports are passed to the VM.
Just speculation though......

I just installed Ubuntu on my Windows box. It automatically adjusts the partition and installs without messing with Windows at all.

-- Jim
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #65
vicinc
Guru

trying to find a dvd live ubuntu see if i can get it working from there.
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #66
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
trying to find a dvd live ubuntu see if i can get it working from there.
To vicinc,

N.B. I am a NON-EXPERT linux user and an android noobie.

There is a MacTel support team on the Ubuntu forums: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...unityHelpPages
You might look at that before proceeding to download a Live CD iso.

The isos are available for download at:http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.10/release/

There are some that are said to be designed to work on intel macs. If the ones in this directory don't seem to be appropriate, just move up to the parent folder and check other ones. (For example, there are different isos for PPC and Intel Macs.

Note that you CAN run directly from the Live CD without installing. Link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1653809 (the link included in this thread is broken, use the one above that I listed.) I haven't tried this with my iMac (it is a PPC and I don't have any PPC Linux distros - lack of interest).

Hope some of that helps.

BTW, since the Mac OS X is a UNIX derivative, is it possible that you could do what you need in the native Mac OS X environment?

Obviously, it may be more comfortable to download a live iso, burn it, boot from it and follow the nice instructions...<g>

Hope some of that is helpful
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #67
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
You can definitely set up a tftp server on OSX.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #68
perldude69
Fun-ologist

The TFTP server is the easy part. The big question is, will the Mac recognize the Intel Null Modem hardware of the PE? Ubuntu picks it up without a hitch, but Windows doesn't find a driver for it.
If someone has a Mac, just open up a serial Terminal connection with the USB connected to the PE and run the tftpboot command from the Terminal interface.

In Windows, a new device is found, but no drivers are located. In Ubuntu, a new network connection is added. Add a static IP to this new connection (192.168.2.100 is default) and you will be ready for the next step.
-- Jim

Last edited by perldude69; 10-31-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #69
vicinc
Guru

I had an old desktop in my loft room with xp that was not started for a year and has also serial port (which incidentally works with termite). I am burning a ubuntu disk and will install on this one. will take me longer... good things come for those who wait.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #70
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
I had an old desktop in my loft room with xp that was not started for a year and has also serial port (which incidentally works with termite). I am burning a ubuntu disk and will install on this one. will take me longer... good things come for those who wait.
Sometimes it pays to keep the old working equipment
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #71
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by perldude69 View Post
Solved: (For me at least)
Jim dances a jig........
I tricked the update.sh into recovering the mtd partitions for me.
Here are the changes I made to the update.sh:
@Line 199
# Jim - Force update.sh to use dd instead of mtd_debug
dd if=$1 of=$3 bs=$4 count=1 >> $TMP_LOG 2>&1
@Line 216
# Jim - Force update.sh to use dd instead of mtd_debug
dd if=$3 of=$1 bs=64K >> $TMP_LOG 2>&1
@ Line 286
# Jim - Removed check for mtd device
if [[ -e $4 ]];
@ Line 329
if [[ -e $4 ]];
@ Line 372
if [ -e /dev/ubi0 ];
@ Line 612
# Jim - Removed check for Flash mismatch / update.sh delete
#if [ "$UPDATE_DEVICE" != "$TARGET_DEVICE" ];
@ Line 1084
# Jim - Changed == t0 != to fool update.sh into factory reimage of mtd partitions
if [ $UPDATE_TYPE != "golden" ];
@ Line 1130
# Jim Edit - Makes update.sh think this is a factory update.
if [ $UPDATE_ORIGIN != "factory" ];

It deletes everything byte by byte, and restores the image to factory default.

Enjoy!

-- Jim

For those interested, here is the whole update.sh
Rather than changing the tests at the end of update.sh you should just change the variables at the top to say it's a golden/factory update.
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #72
vicinc
Guru

can you suggest an update.zip modified to bypass anything from serial?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #73
perldude69
Fun-ologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
Rather than changing the tests at the end of update.sh you should just change the variables at the top to say it's a golden/factory update.
Tried this, but it broke other things in the script.

Trust me, this is the way to do this. :-)

-- Jim
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #74
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by perldude69 View Post
Tried this, but it broke other things in the script.

Trust me, this is the way to do this. :-)

-- Jim
Like what? It looks like it'd work just fine to me!
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #75
perldude69
Fun-ologist

Here is the reasoning behind the method I used to modify the update.sh:

The type of update is not determined by some variable being set at the top of the script. It is determined by the start parameters of the Update.sh itself. They are writen to a system variable $1 and assigned to the script variable $BOOT_COMMAND. The system value that sets the parameter UPDATE_ORIGIN=factory is "--update_package=SDESI:update.zip".

We could hard wire this value to the $BOOT_COMMAND variable, but then other things go awry. The variable "UPDATE_SRV_DEV is assigned the value "/dev/mmcblk0p1", and this would break my system because I have the update.zip file on USB (/dev/sda1), not the mini SD card.

I found it easier to just replace the "==" check with a "!=" and call it even. It is a quick change, and once the restore is complete, I don't need to go through a lot of code to change it back to work as designed.

Do as you wish, but this was the reasoning behind my script modification.

-- Jim