Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinWriter View Post
Yeah, I'd probably put the "call to action" at the end of the book and just ask the reader to do one thing. Leave a review at your favorite bookstore or whatever. The simpler you make something, the more likely someone will do it. If they enjoyed the book.

I could see all that backfiring too. That's a pretty presumptuous list of requests IMO, and the stuff about Amazon lists feels like the author trying to game the system. Too, it takes up space in the sample pages area if it's up front. I want to see your story there, not your marketing plan.
Interestingly enough, I'd bet it would be presumptuous if the reader didn't enjoy the book and a great idea if they did.

Though I do tend to agree; having an itemized list might be helpful, but it also has the potential to read as something less than a request. Also, I'd say most folks can figure out how to post reviews and whatnot without the aid of a big list.

The important thing is to make the suggestion and highlight how important reviews are and how much they can help facilitate sales.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
having an itemized list might be helpful, but it also has the potential to read as something less than a request. Also, I'd say most folks can figure out how to post reviews and whatnot without the aid of a big list.
I wasn't aware of most of those sites until I saw them in the list. I think just a (nice) review on the site they bought it from would do, and the rest could be some sort of penance for people who downloaded it for free and enjoyed it enough to feel guilty.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I think I'm gonna do this too with my books. The only thing it'll mean is having to resubmit the files again after adding the extra content.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote