Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
shadow_wings
shadow_wings began at the beginning.

Device: Inkbook 8"
Looking for the right e-reader

Hi everyone! New here. I'm looking for an affordable e-reader that can handle E-PUB, MOBI, PDF, and LIT files (more importantly E-PUB) and CBR and CBZ files well.

Also, I want something which has an expandable memory and a backlight. 6" e-ink screen would be just fine.

I am highly considering Kobo Aura, but my only concern is that I have a collection of EPUB and digital comic books in my computer. Is it easy to put it in the reader and read it without any problem? I want something that is just 'drag and drop.'

I can only spend up to $150.

Thanks in advance for suggesting!
shadow_wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
A new Kobo Aura is $150. I'm not sure whether you can drag and drop with Kobo as I always use Calibre to upload my books. Perhaps someone else will be able to fill you in.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yes drop and drop is possible. Their is no .lit support and while it theoretically supports .mobi it's apparently hit and miss. .cbr/.cbz are handled but I have no experience with them.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you want good PDF support and a backlight, look at the various seven inch tablets, perhaps a secondhand/refurb Nexus 7, or a Nook tablet if you're in the USA, but there are plenty of other options. You may have to convert .lit to a more current format, which is easy with Calibre.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you want good PDF support and a backlight, look at the various seven inch tablets, perhaps a secondhand/refurb Nexus 7, or a Nook tablet if you're in the USA, but there are plenty of other options.
I honestly wouldn't recommend a 7" tablet for PDFs - you'd have to constantly scroll around to read an A4/Letter formatted page. With a 10" tablet you can comfortably read the whole page without scrolling.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly wouldn't recommend a 7" tablet for PDFs - you'd have to constantly scroll around to read an A4/Letter formatted page. With a 10" tablet you can comfortably read the whole page without scrolling.
I agree, in general. That was my rec because the OP said six inches would be fine, and they have a very, very limited budget.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
shadow_wings
shadow_wings began at the beginning.

Device: Inkbook 8"
I'm from the Philippines.. Kobo Aura isn't yet available..planning to buy one this Christmas!! Thanks for the comments! Really great help.
shadow_wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
The .lit format is no longer supported but can be converted with Calibre. If you want to read comics and PDF's, you really should consider a tablet, preferably with a 9" or 10" screen.

The best tablet available for the price is the Nook HD+ but you'll have to find a way to buy it in the US and have it shipped to you. New from B&N, the price is $149 but if you shop around you can find refurbs with new warranty for as low $115 and probably won't have as much problem buying it from the Philippines. I'd also recommend that you buy a dual-boot SD card or root card from N2A or AFN so you can run stock android on it. Here's a link to one of the available cards: http://www.amazon.com/AndroidForNook...ard+nook+hd%2B

If you think a 7" tablet will work for you, the Nook HD is a little cheaper but it's not as good a choice for the uses you want. Spend a few bucks more for the larger screen HD+. You'll never regret it.

Here's a link to Amazon marketplace sellers who are currently offering the HD+ at discount prices: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00AGAS6XW.

Depending on the seller's shipping policy, to buy from the Philippines, you may need to use a US-based mail forwarding service. I use one in Miami to buy such items from Central America. Just be sure your credit card is international and register your US forwarding address as an additional billing address with your credit card company. It's all very simple and routine and works great.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
canuck100
canuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad4
I just converted a pdf to epub using Calibre to read on my Kobo Aura. Worked very well.
canuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote